Hearth Stoker and Kyln Guard Fyreslayer conceps

To1v1

Hi people,

I believe this is the correct place to post this kind of thing. Just a bit of concept work on a couple of new units for Fyrselayers. I'm new to both writing rules for and playing aos, and i'm more than happy to hear any critique on these. I had good fun writing them, its a great process creating new rules! (even if they might be a little short sighted :))

WARSCROLL

HEARTH STOKER

Hearth Stokers are blessed with the knowledge and ability to manipulate smoke’s breath, the natural smoke rising from the magma formed mountains their lodges inhabit. They are masters of the Kyln where they fashion many things, including explosive throwing weapons known as Pots. They are a sight to behold on the battlefield as they stride proudly amidst trails of the smoke breath they are famed for causing tremendous damage with both axe and fire.

Move: 4”

Save: 4+

Missile Weapons

Range

Attacks

To Hit

To Wound

Rend

Damage

Wounds: 5

Bravery: 7

Fyresteel Throwing Axe

8”

4+

4+

-

Smoke’s Breath Pot

8”

3+

-

-

Melee weapons

Range

Attacks

To Hit

To Wound

Rend

Damage

Fyresteel Kyln Axe

3+

3+

DESCRIPTION

A Hearth Stoker is a single model. All Hearth Stokers carry a Fyresteel Kyln Axe and Smoke’s Breath Pots, many also keep Fyresteel Throwing Axes close at hand.

ABILITIES

Kyln Pots: Some Hearth Stoakers carry Kyln Pots into battle. Using clay from the mountains they inhabit Hearth Stokers create pots filled with smoke breath from the magma itself. The Hearth Stokers have become adept at hurling these pots as an aid to the Fyreslayers battles. During your shooting phase each model armed with a Kyln Pot may place a smoke’s breath marker (25mm base) anywhere within 6” of themselves, a smoke’s breath marker counts as line of sight blocking terrain, although it can freely be moved through by any unit. Units with the fly keyword do not treat these markers as line of sight blocking. Remove the markers at the beginning of your next shooting phase.

Smoke’s Breath Pot: A Smoke’s Breath Pot is a unique missile weapon that only the Hearth Stokers carry, its volatility is only trusted by the Stokers themselves. The Smoke’s Breath Pot may be used as any normal missile weapon in the shooting phase. If the Pot successfully hits its target it deals a mortal wound to every model in the unit on a roll of a 5+, however, this only occurs if there is a smoke’s breath marker within 3” of the target unit. If the Smoke’s Breath Pot causes a mortal wound to any unit remove all smoke’s breath markers within 3” of that unit.

From smoke: Instead of setting up this unit on the battlefield, you can place it to one side and say that it is blanketed in smoke. In any of your movement phases you can reveal a Hearth Stoker that is blanketed in smoke by setting it up anywhere on the battlefield within 3” of a smoke marker.

Shrouded in smoke: A Hearth Stoker brings as many Pots into a battle as is necessary. As such their presence on the battlefield is blanketed in smoke. Add +1 to a Hearth Stoker’s save when he is not in combat.

WARSCROLL

KYLN GUARD

Kyln Guard use their Kyln pots to disorientate enemies and aid their brethren in battle. They throw the Kyln pots into the fray creating vast areas of thick smoke that they use to create advantages in battle, shepherding their enemies into lanes making it easier for the rest of the army to relentlessly chop through.

Move: 4”

Save: 5+

Missile Weapons

Range

Attacks

To Hit

To Wound

Rend

Damage

Wounds: 1

Bravery: 7

Fyresteel Throwing Axe

8”

4+

4+

-

Melee weapons

Range

Attacks

To Hit

To Wound

Rend

Damage

Fyresteel Kyln Axe

4+

3+

DESCRIPTION

A unit of Kyln Guard has 5 models. They are each armed with a Fyresteel Kyln Axe. Some also carry well-balanced Fyresteel Throwing Axes at their belts.

KARL

The leader of the unit is the Karl. A Karl’s Fyresteel Kyln Axe causes 2 Damage rather than 1.

ABILITIES

Kyln Pots: Kyln Guard are renowned on the battlefield for their use of Kyln Pots, some Kyln Guard carry them into battle. Using clay from the mountains they inhabit Hearth Stoakers create pots filled with smoke breath from the magma itself. The Kyln Guard have become adept at hurling these pots as an aid to the Fyreslayers battles. During your shooting phase each model armed with Kyln Pots may place a smoke’s breath marker (25mm base) anywhere within 6” of themselves, a smoke’s breath marker counts as line of sight blocking terrain, although it can freely be moved through by any unit. Units with the fly keyword do not treat these markers as line of sight blocking. Remove the markers at the start of your next shooting phase.

Thanks,

Tom

The smoke tokens might be easier to do as imparting a cover save to a unit you mark with it, obviously how this interacts with your mortal wound ability would be challenging but they range from useless (a single base, pretty much every target can be seen around) to potentially broken (10-15 bases, line of sight blocked to a whole army). What you could instead do is have it imparted a token to a FYRESLAYER unit within X inches, that unit counts as in cover (+1 to save). Then if a marked unit is charged whilst within X inches of the stoker he may opt to detonate the smoke pot, dealing X mortal wounds to the charging unit. It doesnt quite grant the same shooting attack effect but is more consistent.

Edit:

Also scrollbuilder I use is - http://runebrush.pa-sy.com/warscroll/

Thanks that's really helpful. I certainly agree that the effect can either be awful or amazing. I'll have a look into amending the rules somewhat to change this. What you suggested is a great idea and you still get the synergies between the stoker and the guard. I do like the shooting effect as well. I may look into potentially changing the amount of markers that can be used a turn. Up to 5 maybe. And the stoker has to refill the pots for the kiln guard. That way the shooting effect stays in place and there's no complete army hidden behind smoke. 

Archived