Artillery and crew, do you need to kill both for points?

Kramer

Question

As the title states. I always assumed that if you kill the crew, you gain the points. But last weekend I played a game against a friend, it was a tie on objectives and we both got exactly 1380 points on kills. So this would be a tie breaker. What do you think?

And following this train of thought we questioned if you are still in combat if you killed the crew but are still within 3 inch of the artillery piece? It's still an enemy model and as far as we could find there is no exemption on this rule for models without an melee attack.
(We rolled a 4+ for it during the game and as a result my Butcher spend 3 turns failing to chop a grudge thrower to pieces ¬¬ )

4 answers to this question

9 hours ago, stato said:

I would say yes it is a part of the army so you must kill it to get the points. Just because you can ignore it does not mean its removed. There is probably an FAQ about it though.

Yeah definitely see your argument. But, playing devils advocate here, we could only find a FAQ that separates crew and artillery as separate units (so you can target either) so do I pay halve the points for both? Or for either the crew or artilery? 

And what are your thoughts on being engaged by the artillery piece? 

I will give the faq's another go but we couldn't find it then. 

I think sometimes it just easier to take the rules as they read. Certainly they might seem a bit odd in some situations, but such is the nature of the game.  

Accept it and move on, its easy to think up a fluffy explanation for things if you accept them rather than argue (im not saying you are arguing, i just mean with an opponent in a game or something). We are playing in a world(s) of magic, monsters and gods, its not hard to think of a fantasmical reason why you have to destroy the Rock-Lobber, such as stopping your opponents recovering it and using it against you again. Or why you have to retreat from combat with it and cant just move away, your soldiers had dropped their weapons to take up the tools of the dead crew to sabotage the equipment, and retreat is them moving away and re-arming for battle.

At the end of the day do you think its fair to give yourself 200pts or whatever for killing 3 week crew? No, didnt think so :D

If you look at Artillery points costs in the GHB the unit size is listed as 1 model. On page 107 it mentions that Artillery gain any crew "at no associated points cost". From this I would say you definitely need to kill the artillery piece to get the points. I would in fact say if you only kill the artillery piece and leave the crew alive you also get the points. The points are tied into the artillery and the crew are another, seperate, unpointed, unit.

Hope that helps!

Archived