Starting a beastclaw raiders army

ChrisMack26

My advice would be to wait for GHB2017. With the likely points adjustments for most of the Beastclaw units (expect Frostlords on Stonehorns, Huskards on Thundertusks and Thundertusk Beastriders to get a 5-10% points increse, Mournfangs to get a significant points decrease and likely some changes to battallions, Skal being more expensive and the rest less so), the nature of Beastclaw will possibly change significantly. I wouldn't be surprised if the Stonehorn Huskard and Mournfang combo being good with the right points adjustments, especially if they keep Yhetees being as reasonably costed as they currently are for what they offer.

My advice would be to get the new Start Collecting to begin with, and build the Mournfangs into a single four man unit, and the mammoth into whichever variant you think is the coolest; Huskard on Tusk and Stonehorn Lord are always going to be good, but expect them to be more expensive within the next few months. Then once you get an idea of the army and the new points costs, build from there.

Most importantly though... post pictures!

GW is recently trying to balance points, so most likely Mournfang will be viable in new GH 2, and I guess - and somewhat hope - that the big beasts will get more expensive. 

Same procedure probably for Yhetees and Cats. They will get more viable, I guess.

So, just get whatever you want. 

Personally, I like fenresian wolves from the 40k range for frost sabres. They are cheaper, have five poses and their fur matches the fur on the models in the start collecting box. 

I'd say, get two start collecting, two boxes of fenresian wolves and a hunter model (or eBay a single plastic ogor model and use bits from the start collecting box to make your own)

On 22/07/2017 at 11:45 PM, Nico said:

If you want it to be competitive, then avoid everything that isn't a mounted hero I'm afraid. Import the Grots/Ironjawz/Bonesplitterz.

Mournfang are overcosted junk.

For now.. who knows about ghb2 

@ChrisMack26 - My personal preference is not to use Finecast models, so I would opt for a couple of Start Collecting! boxes. If you're keen on Frostsabres then @Nogle's suggestion of Fenrisian Wolves is a good one. Also as he says you can convert a nice plastic hunter by using some of the spare parts from the Stonehorn/Thundertusk kit and a plastic Ogor (the fur cloak and spear, with a crossbow on the waist etc would look great).

@Nico is right that Mournfang are overcosted at present, but they are cool models and if you're going pure Beastclaw will look great in the army. As @mwills11 says though, we don't know what GH2017 will bring for Mournfang.

I already own a Stonehorn and 4 Mournfang, but will be picking up a Start Collecting! box primarily for the Mournfang as I want to do a Braggoth's Beasthammer list next year. Can use the second behemoth to add a Thundertusk as well.

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:17 AM, Payce said:

Most importantly though... post pictures!

Also; this!!

Have fun :) 

8 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Also as he says you can convert a nice plastic hunter by using some of the spare parts from the Stonehorn/Thundertusk kit and a plastic Ogor (the fur cloak and spear, with a crossbow on the waist etc would look great).

The hunter is a beautiful model. Why would you do this?

12 hours ago, Trout said:

The hunter is a beautiful model. Why would you do this?

Agreed, he's a lovely sculpt. Unfortunately though Finecast is frankly awful and I couldn't advocate it's use, given I wouldn't do so myself. You could pick up an old metal version on eBay though I'm sure.

6 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Agreed, he's a lovely sculpt. Unfortunately though Finecast is frankly awful and I couldn't advocate it's use, given I wouldn't do so myself. You could pick up an old metal version on eBay though I'm sure.

OK, I can't say I get this. You would avoid a model you admit is superb because of the material it was made out of? Unless it was some kind of cancer causing agent...I just don't get it.

32 minutes ago, Trout said:

OK, I can't get say I get this. You would avoid a model you admit is superb because of the material it was made out of? Unless it was some kind of cancer causing agent...I just don't get it.

The sculpt is superb, but the material it is currently cast in is rubbish. What don't you get?

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

The sculpt is superb, but the material it is currently cast in is rubbish. What don't you get?

Why you feel this way to begin with, and strongly enough that you would rather not have the model at all than to have it in that material. It's not my preferred material either, but what's the big deal?

Why you feel this way to begin with, and strongly enough that you would rather not have the model at all than to have it in that material. It's not my preferred material either, but what's the big deal?

I also avoid Metal and resin models these days as I find them not to be durable enough, I can't be bothered touching up chips or sticking bits back on every time I transport them anywhere. I have gone to the lengths of converting plastic models rather than buy the non plastic ones quite frequently. Of course we are spared the horror of metal models with plastic arms as we had in the early editions of 40K, the sticking your arms back on phase was tiresome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I also avoid Metal and resin models these days as I find them not to be durable enough, I can't be bothered touching up chips or sticking bits back on every time I transport them anywhere. I have gone to the lengths of converting plastic models rather than buy the non plastic ones quite frequently. Of course we are spared the horror of metal models with plastic arms as we had in the early editions of 40K, the sticking your arms back on phase was tiresome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resin falls apart easily?

17 hours ago, Trout said:

For me personally, Finecast is a horrible material to work with. For all GW's claims of crisper sculpts etc, the material just did not deliver. Potential issues include blemishes, bubbles, miscasts, bent/bendy weapons or appendages etc. There is also the problem of the material warping in heat (usually only applies to long things parts such as banner poles etc) to consider.

I have painted a couple of Finecast models in my time (for commission - though funnily I ended up buying those models back recently; some Ogor Maneaters!) and tbh the paint adhered to them perfectly fine, so no issue there. It's just not for me and I have avoided it since...as have Games Workshop, you'll note there are no new sculpts being manufactured in this material! ;) 

If there is an older sculpt I want to get hold of, I would try and obtain a metal version*. Thankfully I've not come across anything I really want that was only ever released in finecast. Seems to be a pretty small bracket there luckily.

I don't mind working with a proper quality resin (Mierce, Forgeworld etc) so much it has to be said and I haven't experienced the falling apart issues @Ollie Grimwood has luckily!!

Of course this is all just my experiences and opinions, I'm sure there are people who will tell you Finecast is the best thing going**!!

Sorry for the hijack @ChrisMack26

Chris

* I'm not particularly keen on working with metal models anymore. Which is strange, because for the longest time I was one of those guys who would proclaim metal was the best material to work with and would seek out metal over plastic/resin. I guess nowadays it all comes down to GW spoiling us with absolutely phenomenal plastic miniatures!

** They are wrong!! ;):P 

7 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

For me personally, Finecast is a horrible material to work with. For all GW's claims of crisper sculpts etc, the material just did not deliver. Potential issues include blemishes, bubbles, miscasts, bent/bendy weapons or appendages etc. There is also the problem of the material warping in heat (usually only applies to long things parts such as banner poles etc) to consider.

I have painted a couple of Finecast models in my time (for commission - though funnily I ended up buying those models back recently; some Ogor Maneaters!) and tbh the paint adhered to them perfectly fine, so no issue there. It's just not for me and I have avoided it since...as have Games Workshop, you'll note there are no new sculpts being manufactured in this material! ;) 

If there is an older sculpt I want to get hold of, I would try and obtain a metal version*. Thankfully I've not come across anything I really want that was only ever released in finecast. Seems to be a pretty small bracket there luckily.

I don't mind working with a proper quality resin (Mierce, Forgeworld etc) so much it has to be said and I haven't experienced the falling apart issues @Ollie Grimwood has luckily!!

Of course this is all just my experiences and opinions, I'm sure there are people who will tell you Finecast is the best thing going**!!

Sorry for the hijack @ChrisMack26

Chris

* I'm not particularly keen on working with metal models anymore. Which is strange, because for the longest time I was one of those guys who would proclaim metal was the best material to work with and would seek out metal over plastic/resin. I guess nowadays it all comes down to GW spoiling us with absolutely phenomenal plastic miniatures!

** They are wrong!! ;):P 

Finecast and Forgeworld resin are not the same? I thought all resin was Finecast. There's regular resin and finecast resin?

2 hours ago, Trout said:

Finecast and Forgeworld resin are not the same? I thought all resin was Finecast. There's regular resin and finecast resin?

The quality of the material used is significantly lower on Finecast than Forge World, because of the production amount. For every ten Space Marine characters, maybe one or two Forge World equivalents are casted. Thus, Finecast requires cheaper materials to be economically feasible to produce, while Forge World can use a finer material and sell at an inflated price.

Ha no worries on taking the conversation in another direction. I'm quite new to the hobby and have been painting stormcast so it's interesting to hear about other materials apart from the standard plastics. The only fine cast model I actually have is good old bugman, who I doubt will be put in any games so won't get damaged. 

Archived