Cheetor's Lost City of Exactamundo! Dragonfate Dais 05/12/17

cheetor

wp-1499981633897.jpg

Having spent some time over the last year or so working on WHQ: Silver Tower figures, I decided to dip my toe into AoS.   Without decent terrain tabletop wargames just don't interest me much, so I decided to work on that before I got stuck into an army.  So I planned an approach for making a ruined city table.

wp-1500034829496.jpg

The project had to have a beginning, a middle and an end.  I didnt want to scratch build terrain really, I wanted practical yet nice to look at gaming pieces that look decent in photos.  I didn't want a bespoke and therefore restrictive sculptural table: its for gaming not display.  I wanted the terrain to look obviously fantasy, not just historical with bells and whistles.

Bells and whistles that generate lightning and power chords are acceptable however.

wp-1500034829476.jpg

A list of appropriate kits was made.  Over time they were purchased, two months ago they were assembled and they were painted over the last month or so.

The first step was to prep and paint some fairly vanilla pieces, to pad out the table.  Landmarks could come later.

My first stop was the Citadel Ruins of Osgilliath terrain, which is pleasingly generic.  I also picked up the Citadel Goblin Town set to use as gangways to connect the various buildings on more than one level, simply because I though that would be fun.  I also picked up a set of Renedra fences to use as ladders.

wp-1500034829604.jpg

I assembled the lot and painted it with simple drybrushing and zenith spraying techniques. 

Next I added a Numinous Occulum, which after the Baleful Realmgate kit is my favourite piece of AoS terrain released to date.

wp-1499981633881.jpg

The blog post with more info on the Osgilliath ruins can be seen HERE

For those interested in more info about the Occulum, that blog post is HERE.

I have a lot more terrain for this project finished, but I'm mainly waiting to take a few half decent photos of it.  More Exactamundo next week.

Thanks for looking!

Looking good, I always struggle with the motivation to get terrain built and painted as it seems like wasted time/money I could spend doing up an army (Wrong I know). I need to eventually work on a gaming table for at home but always find models more of a priority.

14 hours ago, Mr. White said:

Now, I knock out terrain first.

I think that this is the first time that I have actually managed to approach the terrain first.  The first time that I have resisted the urge to get stuck into the protagonists beforehand :)

4 hours ago, Uruk_Guy said:

Will your table be a location from their background, or just a likely battleground for them?

I haven't anything very specific in mind for a location really, not yet at least.
I have two painted Garden of Morr kits (now a Sigmarite Mausoleum I suppose) and a lot of gravestones and a few dead trees already, plus a buddy is prepping a Death force, so its tempting to go with a Shyish vibe.

wp-1498590392815.jpg

On the other hand I have a lot of jungle terrain that should fit in around the ruins to give the opposite vibe, a Ghyran vibe. 

I also put together some dinosaur bone terrain pieces earlier this year, so they could fit in Shyish or Ghyran really.

20170518_230135-1612x1209.jpg

Generally speaking I try to go for fairly modular terrain pieces that can be combined to generate the vibe that I want.

4 hours ago, Davariel said:

Wow. Extremely nice stuff you've got here - taking the time to pick out individual bricks in different colours really paid off!

I love the use of the Goblin Town platforms to create multiple levels too :)

Picking out a handful of bricks across the terrain with a wash before the drybrushing stage is a nice way to bring a little bit of visual texture to what is essentially an expanse of grey without it getting too "busy".  Im glad that you like it :)

52 minutes ago, Kramer said:

What army is going to be fighting over this? 

Stormcast first I think.  The "Justified Ancients", the first of which can be seen here.

wp-1470498489088.jpg

Thanks for all of the encouraging feedback folks!

23 hours ago, Moldek said:

@cheetorI love your blog, came across it a few days ago :)
Good job on the terrain, I'm in the process of painting a garden of moor too, great kit even though it's a bit rich in terms of skulls...
Looking forward to more stuff from you!

Thanks Moldek, I'm glad that you like the blog :)

Each Garden of Morr has 244 "human" skulls and 115 skull motifs, by my count,  That 359 per Garden and therefore 718 per Sigmarite Mausoleum.

Its a lot of skulls by any measure, but its appropriate in the context I think.

18 hours ago, Thundercake said:

This is great! I want a table wide shot!

Thanks Thundercake!  I will get a 6x4' set up photographed over the next month or so I hope.  I have photos of the upcoming elements taken, but it will be a while before I can get some more photos taken.

But its coming for sure.

3 hours ago, BangDoll said:

Nice to see you there Paul :) ! (I'm Martin) 

Love your scenery they look really nice. 

Do you still have an army or warband ? Would love to see it. The Stormcast is really cool.

Hi Martin, good to see you here too!

I have seen your absolutely gorgeous undead on FB, it is turning into an incredible force.

I don't currently have an AoS force.  I painted a unit of grots, but didn't like them so I stripped them and decided to work on terrain instead while I thought about a new approach.

I am busy on other projects for the next couple of weeks, but after that I hope to get stuck into the Stormcast.  Other possibilities included Ironjaws and Moonclan.  I may end up painting a few units from each before I complete a small army for any of them though.  I find that I stay more motivated and productive if I hop from one project to another a bit.

So more than likely it will be Stormcast next... but it could be Moonclan or Ironjaws.  I have models for all three cleaned up and uundercoated, so it really just depends on how I feel in a couple of weeks.  Im excited about it though!

"Can I interest you in a stairs, dat goes nowheres?"

wp-1499981633776.jpg

The next ruined piece of architectural arcana to get Exactamundan planning permission is this Dreadfire Portal from the Warhammer Storm of Magic releases a few years ago.

At the time I wasn't keen on those Arcane Fulcrums at all, but in the interim my appetite for the ridiculous seems to have increased.

More info in the associated blog post for those interested.

Thanks for looking!

So, I picked up the Eternity Stair and Dreadfire Portal combo box last Christmas when a LGS was having a 50% off sale on red WFB boxes and have been wondering why I did that.  This has just made me realize why.  Can I ask your steps for painting the Portal and ruins?

Thanks

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:16 PM, Thundercake said:

But you could build two of them and have a portal between the two pillars that let you travel between two sides of the map. Use them as mini realm gates!

Believe it or not Thundercake, I had two of that set for a while, with the prospect of using them to make a bridge planned.  In the end I decided that I didn't want to paint a second, and that I didn't really need to convert a double height Eternity Stair either while I was at it :D 

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:19 AM, Redking said:

So, I picked up the Eternity Stair and Dreadfire Portal combo box last Christmas when a LGS was having a 50% off sale on red WFB boxes and have been wondering why I did that.  This has just made me realize why.  Can I ask your steps for painting the Portal and ruins?

Thanks

You bought them because you could see what some had overlooked Redking, that AoS is an 80s hair metal, stadium rock setting and that stairs that are on fire and go nowhere are a RAWK as it gets.

This is how I painted more or less everything in this project:

Spray black.

Zenith spray mid tone grey (car primer or Mechanicus Standard).

Wash selected areas (random bricks etc) as desired. I used red wash, blue wash, and green wash in various combinations.

Apply patches of basing textures.

Wash Agrax Earthshade or similar on bottom half /two thirds approx. of terrain elements.

Wash Nuln Oil or similar on bottom half/third approxof terrain elements.  Paint more of this into recesses alongside upright pillars etc to enhance shadows.

Drybrush bottom 2/3 of terrain, including base with Eldar Flesh.

Drybrush top 2/3 of terrain with Terminatus Stone.

Paint details like metal the usual way.

Use Typhus Corrosion to give definition and staining where required.

Paint streaks with whatever colours apt.

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/07/2017 at 4:41 PM, Redking said:

Thanks.  I think I'll redo my realm gates in this scheme, as well.  I based them Mechanicus and haven't painted the vapes yet.

On 25/07/2017 at 4:41 PM, Redking said:

Thanks.  I think I'll redo my realm gates in this scheme, as well.  I based them Mechanicus and haven't painted the vapes yet.

I painted my Realmgates a couple of years ago, using a slightly different approach to above, but with more or less the same result.  I need to take better photos of them though:

realmgatesharbingers9.jpg

realmgatesharbingers8.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More recently, I painted this.  

wp-1500034829437.jpg

Of the original Age of Sigmar release terrain pieces, the Ophidian Archway is the least visually exciting I think.  It has a Masters of the Universe playset vibe that I find appealing though.

wp-1500034829624.jpg

I did enjoy painting it though.  it felt like amateur dramatics/school play set design.  It will work nicely as a landmark ruin, without being as full-on as some of the other architectural elements in this terrain set.

More photos and talk about supernatural snakes HERE for anyone inclined to take a look.

More Exactamundo terrain soon.

They both look great.  I really like the blue in the first one.  Great terrain.  A Dreadstone Blight would be a good addition, if you can find one.  I keep getting snaked on ebay.

My son and I have been using the old cardstock Mordheim terrain for skirmish.  Although, I'm going to pick up some of these ruins kits when I get an opportunity.

10 hours ago, Redking said:

They both look great.  I really like the blue in the first one.  Great terrain.  A Dreadstone Blight would be a good addition, if you can find one.  I keep getting snaked on ebay.

Thanks!  I'm very pleased with how the terrain set is coming together.

I would love to get my hands on a Dreadstone Blight and a couple of the other old WHFB pieces, but I don't see it happening at the current prices.  Perhaps they will be rereleased at some stage, like a couple of the Storm of Magic Fulcrums were.

10 hours ago, Redking said:

My son and I have been using the old cardstock Mordheim terrain for skirmish.  Although, I'm going to pick up some of these ruins kits when I get an opportunity.

I really have to recommend the Osgilliath pieces highly.  Im very pleased with how they turned out and they are also very practical and versatile pieces of terrain.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/09/2017 at 10:29 PM, harrocks said:

hope you can put up some more pics of your table and terrain.

Definitely Harrock.

In fact, the models are painted and the photos are taken.  I just need to get some time to write them up.

Over the next couple of weeks, definitely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2017 at 1:45 PM, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Just saw this.  Staypuff Realmgate is brilliant ;)

Thanks Fireymonkeyboy :)

I don't have any plans to have Mr Stay Puft invade the Mortal Realms as yet, but y'know, its an option.

Meanwhile, I blogged about the Eternity Stair:

wp-1499981633761.jpg

As one of the more, dare I say it, sensible Storm of Magic terrain pieces, the Eternity Stair is an oddity amongst oddities.  I think that it turned out reasonably well all the same.

The blog post is here if any of you would like more info.

I also played five games of AoS: Skirmish last weekend, so I took a few photos of the games in progress.  They are only snaps, but  some of the  pieces from this thread can be seen in the shots.

20170916_223744-768x654.jpg

20170917_123136-768x579.jpg

20170916_203627-768x823.jpg

More photos of the games can also be seen on my blog.

Thanks for the kind words Double Misfire :)

The blog has all sorts of different toy soldier related things in it.  I jump around from project to project a fair bit, as I find that can help to keep my enthusiasm levels high, but it probably makes the blog a little more varied and interesting.  

Meanwhile, I invented a word to describe this thing: ridicufabulous.

wp-1499981633828.jpg

Even before I realised that I actually liked the Storm of Magic terrain pieces, I liked this mad, video-game-boss-special-attack pillar.
It's fun.

wp-1499981633724.jpg

There is a little more info about the Balewind Vortex HERE for anyone who would like a look.

A pillar of skulls next time I reckon.  Thanks for looking!

Archived