Stormcast Lord Commander Concept

Melcavuk

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.
I've been working on the concept of Lord Commanders for Stormcast Hosts and would love feedback.

All great armies throughout the Realms start with but a single soldier and a mission, The Lord Commander embodies both these traits for their host. They are the first chosen by Sigmar when a new host is to be formed, a champion beyond compare from the souls their divine god has plucked from the brink of death. Many Commanders are formed from Legendary kings or Generals, but others still are rumoured to come from the Broken World in a time before myths were formed, if true such beings could predate the worlds known to man and have walked the earth in days that Gods walked as mortal men.

When sigmar comes to form a host its purpose is already clear in his mind, some are forged to guard areas of great importance to his grand alliance, others set out to conquer a specific foe that harries his forces on their advance. Whatever purpose is chosen the Lord Commander is infused with Sigmars bellowing voice as the order is carved into both their armour and souls. Should a Lord Commander survive the reforging process their Armour and Weaponry come not from the Duardin forges that the rest of the host are armed with, instead ancient vaults buried deep within Azyr uncoil to present relics of Myth to these embodiences of Sigmars will. Many relics form the basis of legends throughout the realms, the Phoenix Blade of Aqysh that can blast a mortal man to ash, the Celestial Cloak of Hysh that allows its bearer to tread amongst the stars, such is the power of these relics that they drain the very soul of their bearer, only those of divine will can resist their pull.

Armed and Armoured the Lord Commanders stand at the forefront of their hosts, second only to the Lord Sigmar himself in authority it is they who spur on their soldiers in the name of their god. Champion, General, Steward and Judge these men and women define their Hosts (for better or worse). Ralyn'Tor Lord Commander of the Anvils is a Grim and Cold figure, palapable waves of terror ripple in his very prescence, their air crackles with electricity barely contained by his rune laden armour, hidden always behind an exquisitely carved mask his eyes burn with the embers of the forge that has yet to cool off.

004.JPG.55d79f96983522df2ef3098e5ee97abc.JPG

UNIQUE: No Army may contain more than one Lord Commander, but a single commander exists per host. If the Lord Commander is fielded he must be your general. A Lord Commander may not select relics or command traits and instead has the following abilities.

Ability:

Shatterfang Blade: Each Lord Commander possesses a blade unique to the host from which they were made, unique and deadly relics forged long ago. Such is the power of these blades that lesser men find their souls torn asunder should they attempt to harness the power. For every model this blade kills in MELEE inflict one additional automatic hit on the unit as their slain comerade detonates into shards of super heated sigmarite.

Warcouncil: The Lord Commander is a consumate general capable of marshalling his officers to perform their roles with optimal efficiency. If this model is your general all friendly STORMCAST heroes may use their command abilities when within 12 inches of this model in the hero phase.

Consumate Duelist: The Lord Commander is a duelist nigh beyond compare, seeking out the enemy heroes to do battle that they might crush the enemy hosts with but a single kill. Whilst directing their MELEE attack against this model enemy heroes must subtract 1 from all to hit rolls.

The Crash of Thunder: The Lord Commander leads his forces in an unstoppable tide of Stormcast, crashing through enemy lines as though they were nothing. In a turn in which this model charges, all friendly STORMCAST models who have charged that turn may make an additional attack with any Melee weapons.

Command Ability:
Storm Infused: The first of the host still crackle with the power of Sigmars storm, channelling this energy into their brethern around them to boost them to even greater heroic feats. In your hero phase select a friendly STORMCAST unit within 6 inches, that unit may then MOVE, SHOOT or ATTACK IN CLOSE COMBAT as though it were theappropriate phase. This does not prevent the unit from acting as normal later in the turn.

4 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Too op!

In which way? Would love input on what to change/revise to ensure fair balance.

For Reference he's designed to fit in at 250-300 points level. Has no mortal wound output not protection from mortal wounds.

Every hero can use his command abilty is too strong and +attack at charge for every stormcast too. Also that a unit can attack or shoot in hero phase is op too. So all of his abiltys are too op in my opinion. Hes better than every other hero of stormcast. And to be honest im not a fan of selfmade rules and would never play against them. How much points you will pay for him? At that state hes better than stardrake, so 800?

2 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Every hero can use his command abilty is too strong and +attack at charge for every stormcast too. Also that a unit can attack or shoot in hero phase is op too. So all of his abiltys are too op in my opinion. Hes better than every other hero of stormcast.

His warcouncil ability is a variant of the Consumate Commander trait from the SE battletome that trades off the infinite range to allow more than one other hero to benefit.

The command ability is a restricted version of kunnin rukk keyed to a hero with no mortal wound save

Any better than every other hero ignores that lack of mortal wound output or fact every other stormcast can select relics and command traits where as being a unique character this one cannot.

Think about combo him with vandus+celestant+Raptors. Total massacre. +1hit +2 Attacks on charge, oh and Atack 2nd Time with 9 Raptors. Or in a Aethestrike Force attack 4 times in one turn with your 12 Raptors. Oo if he would exist i would include him in any list.

make his warcounsil to only one hero and delete his command abilty. Warcounsil as his command abilty and he is ok. Still strong but more balanced.

Though to be fair 9 raptor longstrikes, vandus, celestant, and a lord commander runs at 1240 points. Vandus is now stuck remaining within 12 inches of the commander, as is the celestant, who also needs to be in range of your raptors if you want them to shoot twice.

To that end you have 1240 points of castled up Stormcast, without battleline. The +1 from the celestant doesnt benefit the raptors as it only effects the combat phase.

Edit: Range on Abilities lowered to minimise effect597092d36a6ef_lord-commander(1).jpg.3df3252d8e5079c3aee74819d975ec4b.jpg

Cheers, even though its narrative I'd love to get it balanced, the idea is to have a functional lynch pin character acting as general in chief, as head of the host he should reflect the hosts nature.

I tried to take elements of stormcast command (consumate commander warlord trait) and the anvils own umbrella formation (units can act in hero phase on roll of 6) and personify them into a character. The 300 point mark was the midway between characters on foot and characters on drake.

Removed the additional attack ability but replaced it with one in the same theme, lowered the armywide buff in turns that it charges. 

lord-commander (2).jpg

The blade should not stack for Sure. Imagine him killing 1 golblin and suddenly slaughter 40 of them because of the explosion damage. Is simply ridicolous.

The fact that the range limits his viability in a pretty efficiente way is a thing i like. As it was before was clearly too op. Now i wonder tho about 15 retributors with +1 attack, that attack in hero phase, with +1 to hit... Kinda the best cc unit in the game!

Anyway love the model and love the rules even if i would have made it a more indipendente hero rather than a force multiplier. Mainly because is just so cool and also is easier to balance 

51 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

The blade should not stack for Sure. Imagine him killing 1 golblin and suddenly slaughter 40 of them because of the explosion damage. Is simply ridicolous.

The fact that the range limits his viability in a pretty efficiente way is a thing i like. As it was before was clearly too op. Now i wonder tho about 15 retributors with +1 attack, that attack in hero phase, with +1 to hit... Kinda the best cc unit in the game!

Anyway love the model and love the rules even if i would have made it a more indipendente hero rather than a force multiplier. Mainly because is just so cool and also is easier to balance 

Sorry yes by rules of one the blade additional hits cannot themselves generate additional hits. I tend to write assuming matched play rules are in effect. I'll edit the profile to reflect that naturally.

The force multiplier part is more because he is designed as a general not just a champion 

This is really cool! The commander looks like he'd play really well on the table top! Lots of buffing like any good commander should have, and lots of exploding bodies like every good story should have!

How did you create the custom warscrolls? They look great!

What about making him a sorta of mix between a force multiplier and a champion between heroes of the stormcast?

This way can be more of a selfish hero, designed to take care of units it comes across and that add power to the stormcast? I see him more of a big hero like 400-500 points.

Archived