Beastclaw Raiders - Model quality

Chillpill

Question to all the Beastclaw Raiders players here. I read that models are finecast. How do they / does that compare to the newer models like Stormcasts or Ironjawz?

I got a few Ironjawz and love the models... are they comparable?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

As above, the stonehorn/thundertusks and mournfang packs are plastic. 

The icebrow hunters is extremely detailed. 

The frost sabres and yetis are extremely underwhelming though. I think they are very old models.

I don't have yhetees and have 40k fenrisian wolves as sabre proxies, but I can really recommend mournfangs and Thundertusk/Stonehorn. Very good quality models and fun to paint. 

Compared to gore gruntas they are at least the same quality. 

Frost sabres are quite nice models. They are very simple but the fits the stalking beast image. I have some frost sabers (also two plastic I think), the hunter but no yhetees. Would you still like some comparison pics? With mournfang and regular ogres?

In general though I have no reservations with the metal models. They are, in my experience, incredably detailed, require only some mold* removal and don't break. They do bend a little bit if put under force, but easily bend back, and chip if handled roughly. But a quick varnish and a bit of sense when handling these models and you will have no issues whatsoever 

*Is this how you write this? The thing they cast the model in?

Oh so here goes I realized I never learned shading when I painted these (so I might be going back on these ?).

but as you can see in the pictures all parts fit very well and I think there is even a second arm option (but check that). Not attaching the spears leaves a bit of a weird space. Not horrible but it is noticeable.

The two sabres in front of the hunter are metal. Only the left front paw needs to be attached. Slightly trickier fit but you can hardly see the green stuffing. 

Also some other models from the same box for scale (bought the bulls painted like that)

IMG_0204.JPG.cb85934f66ff2366bcbcf9c5222ef8d1.JPGIMG_0205.JPG.99f6357faf9ad395034a71f276db03f2.JPGIMG_0206.JPG.98d84e01cd585a7f8bbac261d1f4d5b1.JPGIMG_0207.JPG.89a5da55dab4e3dcefc7a6e7fca96dc5.JPGIMG_0209.JPG.626e380b166c59d65869e5a3ba46dbf2.JPGIMG_0210.JPG.79035dc94a3d1bc1bb262ebb4b96e657.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG.2b780b2b2526e91cab60d343845800b7.JPG

As said above, all the plastic models are of great quality- very comparable to the Ironjawz.

I personally do really like the Icebrow Hunter sculpt, being finecast there is a big potential for air holes which require either some greenstuff/milliput to fill, and the 'flash' - the connecting bits that need trimming off- can conceal detail at times too. For example the hunters left hand needs a bit of work with a sharp knife to get his finger details back.

image.jpg.17a7c0aafa6ec9b46bbc95887ffff8be.jpg

You're in luck- like I said in my most recent post in my topic, I've just aquired an Icewind Assault box so I can show you here! Above we have a Frost Sabre and Yhetee still on the sprue, both of which are finecast. And below is the final finecast model the Icebrow hunter.image.jpg.961affca0b97d43995e2c830d3989eec.jpg

Possibly hard to see on the arm here, the little pock marks are from air I believe and need to be filled. But the model as a whole is pretty ace.

IMG_1864.JPG.80894e8746c8b55c03795222f82e6807.JPG

The plastic models are all of the great quality and detail we've come to expect.

4 hours ago, Chillpill said:

Thanks all! Do you usually have the yhetees or frost sabers in an army?

This depends entirely on you- a mix is probably a nice thing to go for, I'm personally keen on finding some alternative models for both the Yhetees and Frost Sabres, most likely I'll be using Fenrisian Wolves from the 40k range for the Sabres and I'm considering Skin Wolves from forgeworld for Yhetees, but I'm not sure on that yet.

Hope this helps, and I've not gone overboard on my reply!

Will x

14 hours ago, Chillpill said:

Thanks Will!! Looks like you are magnetizing them (is that the term?) ?

No worries Chill, just ask if you have any other questions.

Yes I'm going to magnetise them (indeed that's the term), the Hunter was only for a bit of fun, but the Stonehorns and Thundetusks can be made is so many different ways, if one were to magnetise them you'd essentially have 6 (I believe) options from each kit, so you can use whatever you like and not be stuck with your one choice.  Obviously if you know exactly what you want then go for it, but it's always fun to change things up!

Will 

6 hours ago, Chillpill said:

Are there tutorials anywhere that explain (for Dummies!!!) how you magnetise models?

Yes indeed, a quick google will bring up a lot of tutorials, but I've linked two below. The first one here is quite informative, all about the basics. And the second will show you specifically on a Stonehorn/Thundertusk model which is nice.

I hope this helps!

Will

Archived