My bareheaded Stormcast. Update: a group shot

Aegisgrimm

Lately I have been getting back into the swing of things after my second child was born, and things have been so hectic I haven't been able to paint since last summer.  So after a really nice day let me get my spray cans out, I primed my little skirmish force of Stormcast and got to painting, with the goal of at least one every night when I can.

I wanted a Chamber with more personality than the cold, Cybermen-esque helms they come with, so I broke out some helmet-less Space Marine heads and went about giving each figure a pose and head that gave it a unique personality.  I also went with bare metal plate for their armor, with split black and white heraldry that gives them a nice old Empire feel (they would probably look great next to a Stirland army from the Old World).

The leader of my force, a Liberator Prime.  I thought the head gave him a really cool, grizzled veteran look.  The hardest part was cutting away the tech-bitz of his right ear and sculpting a new ear in it's place.

890390_sm-.JPG

890393_sm-.JPG

These are my other three Liberators.  I wish my pics hadn't lost all my work with washes though.  These are the first batch of figures I have done solely by using just the Army Painter Dark and Strong tones to bring out all the detail after simple basecoats, rather than layering and drybrushing, which used to take me ages to do.  It really improved my faces.

890389_sm-.JPG

889749_sm-.JPG

889750_sm-.JPG

Thanks!  I think it also exaggerates how freaking big they are next to a human, when they don't look as much like magical golems.

My fluff is that they have ended up operating very closely next to 'normal' people since the close of the first push against Chaos, so they many of them have started to feel their humanity again, and it's kind of a badge of honor/brotherhood among their fellows in the Chamber to see each other's expressions; that even though they are not human anymore in the strictest sense, they are still not alone among each other.

All I did was put a nice smooth layer of Cadian fleshtone.  Then a spot of Army Painter bone on each eyeball, with a smaller spot of Matte Black for each eye.  Then just a layer of Army Painter Strong tone, making sure to not get big pools in the recesses of the eyes.  Thats it!

Looking good, far more "Men dragged into service of Gods" than the archangel vibe, the human aspect really helps differentiate them from the other hosts (I do love the traditional host concept though as its whats used in my army), one thing you could do to further enforce the beaten armour and human aspect would be battle damage or "accessories" (Water, food, rations, bandages etc)

Well, their fluff has seen a couple of different variations, not helped by the fact that I don't own any Stormcast printed material, all I know is by word of mouth over forums.   Originally they were for a homebrew Mordheim-esque setting, where they had been separated far from from Azyrheim and the majority of the fighting against Chaos, and thus were saved the majority of when many of the Stormcast went through, where the meatgrinder of being killed and reforged so many times they began to become more like automatons.  My Chamber instead went the other way, and stayed highly individual, ending up as a sort of Paladin police force of the skirmish setting.

Thought I'd do a quick update on my warband, by adding a Judicator with a bow for some ranged support (a Prosecutor is on the painting table next).

I used another of the Deathwatch heads, and like the Leader, I had to cut away a headset piece and resculpt a new left ear in it's place.  Something about the face made me feel I should try a dark skin tone for a change, it's simply ArmyPainter Leather Brown with a Strong Tone wash.  I think it came out pretty good, but I had a hard time getting the camera to get a good focus on the face instead of the bow, as I'm just learning my wife's camera-so sorry for crappy pics.

890807_sm-.JPG

890808_sm-.JPG

Finally have a functioning warband!  For some reason I still have not taken god shots of the shields, they are the same green/black heraldry as the shoulder pauldrons.   Just got their first action on the battlefield, too, tearing apart some Skaven.

890810_sm-.JPG

Wow, I really love your idea of giving them normal heads. Along with your colour scheme it's given them a completely different look that I think really brings out the best in the models.

Consider your idea borrowed ;)

Thanks.  The craziest part is it's not anything, really.  You basically have to just use the right size drill bit (or one of those nice engraving balls for a dremel, which I use in a pin vice) and just very slightly make the socket of a Stormcast's neck a larger diameter, and a Space Marine head will fall right into place.

Ahhh.....finally.  Among a weekend of birthday parties, just sitting still and sweating, and stripping some siding off my house to repair underneath, I managed to get another of my Stormcast done, my warband's lone Prosecutor.  I tried to make his hammers appear as if they are magically glowing.  I originally tried as an experiment the method of painting ethereal creatures using Nihilakh Oxide over a white basecoat, but it was an epic fail, drying crazy fast over a chalky, horrible white (curse you crappy, gloopy Ceramite White, in the trash you go).

Eventually, rather than strip a perfectly finished figure and ruin a night and morning's work, I cut the hammer heads off and replaced them with some Liberator ones, and I figured "Fine", and just went back to my tried and true way of using a Regal Blue basecoat, with three progressively lighter blues drybrushed over it.  Also painted the face on his helm as flesh, so it looks like a open-faced helm to technically keep with my warbands 'no helmet' plan, as at least he is showing his face.  He still needs a finished base, as with the rest of them, but I plan on doing them as a batch when they are all done.

892448_sm-.JPG

892449_sm-.JPG

892450_sm-.JPG

Alright, finally I have another addition to my slowly growing force.  I've always loved the Lord Relictor, but I decided to replace the head of his staff/relic with a less over-the-top icon from the top of a Grey Knight standard from 40k that still keeps the aesthetic feel.   Also, as always, I replaced his helmet (which I think is also way to small!) with a Space Marine head that I think looks completely badass as a force leader.

900841_sm-.JPG

900842_sm-.JPG

Also grabbed a 2-pack of Retributors from the Warstore at Gencon, and decided for fun to be frugal and make my own version of a Paladin Protector from one of them, so I dug into my bitz box and used a pair of Liberator warblades to give him my own unique version of glaive.

900843_sm-.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Got a chance to finish all the Stormcast I have primed up, and a group shot of them all so far.  Next up is a whole bunch of bases for them to finish them off.  Sorry for the blurriness of the pictures, it seems I've had all sorts of problems with these three.  First all my washes kept drying in blotches so I had to repaint several sections and start again, then the Biel-Tan wash I use suddenly dried very, very glossy on just these three friggin' figures, so I had to go over all the green armor and cloth with Vallejo Matte varnish to make them match the rest of my force, and now I just can't seem to get the nice camera shot I got with my Lord Relictor above.

902875_sm-.JPG

902872_sm-.JPG

902873_sm-.JPG

902874-.JPG

There.  Finished my other Paladin from the easy-to-build box, a Retributor.  Now it's just on to bases, but I'm especially exited as this is now my first project in YEARS that I have totally finished what I initially bought for the project before losing motivation/starting another project and having it be relegated forever to the back burner.

Boy, do I hate my bad camerawork, as it makes it look like I simply slapped some metal paints together and called it a day.  At least I have my Lord Relictor above as a single good example of how the wash jobs make my figures turn out.

Now I just need to figure out what I should add to them.  I really want Naeve Blacktalon from the Blightwar set, as she's A: female for a change, B: Bare-headed, and C: in a cool pose.  Unfortunately the prices for her on Ebay right now are outrageous, at 35-40 bucks.  

In the meantime I may add another Judicator, or possibly a Vanguard Raptor for some more ranged support, and likely the Vandus Hammerhand figure as a Celestant on a Dracoth as I really, really like the pose.

904116_sm-.JPG

904117_sm-.JPG

Actually, to tell the honest truth I haven't seen any of the Stormhosts other than the few posterboys- I don't have any of the battletomes.  My area has very little AoS presence, and I instead play all my games locally with a rules-light ruleset by the creator of One Page Rules, which itself has a subset called Age of Fantasy, covering all the races of Warhammer (there is a 40K one, too, I highly recommend both, as they are both free and fun).  I only have the common knowledge of the Lore of Age of Sigmar from talking/reading online, though my games are based in the same setting (mostly on Ghyran around a resettled human kingdom after the Realmgate Wars).

I was simply going for a more "realistic" look to my Stormhost, to make them look more like gigantic Knights/Paladins, rather than the somewhat faceless gold golems that the standard color schemes and helmets give them.

Archived