Warhammer on the Cheap??

Hi so I am looking to get into age of sigmar with a 1k point army so I can play with my brother but I don't have a large amount of money that I can spend on the game.

Something that I've noticed by looking at the game workshop website is that some units have a higher or lower points to cost ratio then others. By this I mean that a group of 6 gryph-hounds with 240 points only costs $30. While some heroes for the same amount of points or less can cost more than twice as much.

The 1000 point Ironjawz army I had picked out would run me $400.

Meanwhile 1000 points worth of gryph-hounds is only $120!

I know people will say that I should pick my units depending on how much I like them, their competitiveness etc. but cost is definitely an important factor for me.

So other from the box sets (some of them over 600 points for $100) what other units can I get that are cheap??

Something I was also considering is buying used models, is there any forum or website or anything where everybody congregates for selling their used models??

Maybe some people out there who have the same budget problems as me could let me know how I could get into the game with a full 1000 point army with my current budget of around $150.

Thank you so much guys I really appreciate it!

This is definitely not a cheap hobby, but there are ways to save money.  My first suggestion would be to choose an army that you like the looks of and next is how it plays.  If you find something that you enjoy looking at and are having fun painting, you will eventually learn how to play it and have fun.

Units are typically prince based on their roles.  Elites are going to be more expensive than battleline.  Plus you usually get larger units of battleline than elites.

After you have decided on an army, look to see if they have a Start Collecting.  These bundles will give you a great discount and as mentioned above some can even be doubled to create an entire army.  If you decide on Khorne or Stormcast, you also have the starter set to give you a lot of units.  Get a starter set, trade the half you don't want, and then buy a SC.  This will get you over 1K and close to 1500.

For more versatility, go Daemons.  You can play your army in AoS and 40k.

Good luck and check out the FS/Trading forum.

this is a very cheap hobby when you compare it with things like working on cars, going out on the weekend with mates to a pub and drinking etc.

to keep it to its cheapest, buy 2nd hand.

29 minutes ago, fued said:

Truth. This forum has a trades section, but bartertown.com and reddit.com/r/miniswap are both much more popular. If there are other good ones I'd love to know about them! You can get a lot of value for your buck there, but expect to do some work with repairs/stripping etc. 

Non-gw stores and sites will be cheaper than GW.

Starter set and start collecting are all good places to begin and just build your army gradually, skirmish or path to glory could be a good model to play.

Use proxies and some friendly games to decide what you like playing and then buy. The old Rogue Trader had cut out space marines and orks so you could play the starter scenario. So cut some paper or card to the size of the bases and try them as different armies, if you like how it is playing then but the models. Instead of paper you could use cheap plastic knights (bonus you can practice colours schemes on them)

For painting there are other cheaper paints than Gw same for brushes. Regardless what you use you don't have to finish the mini, details can be added at a later date. Just buy the first basic colours ie base coat or 2 and a wash. The starter paint set in the aid magazine uses 6 colours for Khorne and looks perfectly acceptable.

8 hours ago, nick331999 said:

Maybe some people out there who have the same budget problems as me could let me know how I could get into the game with a full 1000 point army with my current budget of around $150.

That's going to be very tight if you're looking to buy new.  As suggested I'd have a hunt on eBay or trade section of forums.  One of the cheapest ways to start is to pick up one-half of one of the starter set (so half of $150) which will give you around 700 points of either Khorne Bloodbound or Stormcast.  You can then add on a start collecting box ($85 from GW, but lookout for 20% off from third-party companies) which should add enough to bump you up to 1k, though it may not be "optimal".

I'd possibly consider aiming lower than 1000 points and building an army up over a number of months.  It will ensure that you enjoy the game before committing too much time and money into it.

10 hours ago, nick331999 said:

Maybe some people out there who have the same budget problems as me could let me know how I could get into the game with a full 1000 point army with my current budget of around $15

Two beastclaw Start collecting would be €130 You would have about 1600pt with € 20 left over for paints which should be enough to

Or get 1 beastclaw starter set. Build the frostlord on thundertusk and 4 mournfang and add 3 yhetees for 1000pt for €105 or build the frostlord on huskard, 2x2 mournfang and add a hunter for 980pt = €95. 

Otherwise you run into <€ 150 small armies on ebay and other sites. But rarely and to me those models never feel as precious as when you build them yourself from the box. 

And there are probably other options as well. Two spire of dawn sets worth of skaven would also be a solid 700pt per set. Trade or sell the elves for some extra skaveny goodness as well (add some stormvermin and you have the quite strong verminus clawpack). Or just look for the skaven half online and locally, the total set was €65. So that shouldn't be more than 130, leaving some money for paints. 

8 hours ago, fued said:

Ive yet to find anything (in decent condition) second hand that was cheaper than...

3 hours ago, Praecautus said:

Non-gw stores and sites will be cheaper than GW.

Seriously. My local gaming space has 25% off models, and similar on books.  Most online places are at least 15% if not more. Buying in GW stores is great for odd things and impulse purchases, but if you want to buy a few things or a whole army, there are much better places to buy.

Skirmish really is a hoot, and it's cheap enough for most anyone. It also allows for a potpurri army selection; just pick a Grand Alliance and go nuts! It also does away with some of the cheesier units in the main game, which is a plus.

Skirmish also allows you to experiment with units without committing yourself financially to a full army. Can't decide between Exiles and Wanderers? Try them both in Skirmish before you shell out for a whole army.

12 hours ago, nick331999 said:

Hi so I am looking to get into age of sigmar with a 1k point army so I can play with my brother but I don't have a large amount of money that I can spend on the game.

Something that I've noticed by looking at the game workshop website is that some units have a higher or lower points to cost ratio then others. By this I mean that a group of 6 gryph-hounds with 240 points only costs $30. While some heroes for the same amount of points or less can cost more than twice as much.

The 1000 point Ironjawz army I had picked out would run me $400.

Meanwhile 1000 points worth of gryph-hounds is only $120!

I know people will say that I should pick my units depending on how much I like them, their competitiveness etc. but cost is definitely an important factor for me.

So other from the box sets (some of them over 600 points for $100) what other units can I get that are cheap??

Something I was also considering is buying used models, is there any forum or website or anything where everybody congregates for selling their used models??

You could buy an Icewind Assault box. It goes over your budget by $30 or so depending on where you get it but it will give you quite a bit more than the 1,000 points you're looking for and gives you some of every Beastclaw Raider model; that way you can re-configure your army in a variety of ways and won't get bored with it.

The other option I can think of is to buy two Start Collecting boxes of whichever faction you want. It's more limited in that they usually don't bring a wide variety of units, but it will get you to your target.

Not being blessed with funds but just getting back into AoS, I've been purchasing Stormcasts quite cheaply off eBay for my mixed Order-army. I've established that Stormcasts are relatively cheap because people are buying the AoS starter box and selling the pieces individually, possibly if they don't want the eternals that come in the box. Units of liberators sell for about £5.

If you don't  have the funds for models and paint you can always try using tokens (I totally understand that a HUGE draw of this hobby is the modelling and painting aspects, I'm just trying to give an option for some one that wants to try it without dropping a lot of money.) You could fairly easily use GIMP or another software package to take images of a unit or model and print that on a circular cardboard disc that is the same size as the base of that model. You could then use these disc's as a way to play the game until you have the money for the models. Or to cheaply try new armies.

2 hours ago, chord said:

spire of dawn is the best deal as its ~$1 a model. Sell the half you don't like.

This. Also halves of the AoS starter are dirt cheap second hand. 

Not much variety, but still a great way to bulk up a force.

Apart from the 2nd hand option that people mentioned, you can also look into other mini companies. Although the quality not be on par, there are cheaper options than GW. 

But I really think used model is the best option. Buying in bulk, like from someone looking to get rid of a full army fast, makes it dirty cheap.

There is also PoorHammer, which looks terrible xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-blkXiEhM8

Hi so I am looking to get into age of sigmar with a 1k point army so I can play with my brother ...

I'm going to point you to the absolutely awesome and seriously cool:

Stawks Age of Sigmar 1000 Point Starter List Spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wl3zJzmXcXrievqvnoqtlOMHwG3-SCtRXMWfKFQ2ZVw/htmlview#gid=0

Something to be aware of:

I'm not sure that Stawk has the list "fully optimized" with the new "Start Collecting" kits and the new Skirmish Warband kits.

Additionally, there are the new "AoS starter Sets" (the one without the MLoK/Bloodsecrator or LCoD) that I don't think were included.

The Skaven section is pretty reasonable, but even that may be able to be better "valued" than was proposed.

But it is an excellent place to start. [emoji4]

Like people have said, second hand is generally the cheapest option, if you don't mind repairing/repainting models. Don't pick the army you see the best deal on, pick the one you are interested in most. This is not a short-term hobby! By picking an army you love the style and looks of, you will stay interested and have more fun slowly building up your collection.

You can always ask your friends and opponents if they are willing to play very small scale games with no rules on army composition. You can field a couple units of elites with a monster for a general or whatever, and these small games are often just as fun as the larger ones. Plus they go faster too. :)

If money is the main factor and not what army you play with, then have a look on Ebay for the Stormcast and Khorne halves of the Starter Box. I just had a quick look and you can get either half of the starter set for about $70, I think the Stormcast half is about 800 points and the Khorne half is 700 points. That leaves you with $80 to fill up only a few hundred points. The advantage to collecting one of these armies is that they are in lots of the games and smaller starter sets, so you can get them cheap off Ebay as people break down the boxes and sell them individually. There is plenty of stuff written about expanding these two forces too. It would also be wise to proxy units for a while, that way you can try out the unit before you buy it. 

If you are only playing your brother, you could even try Mantic, they have a large Orc range and a Mega Army is about $120, you might not be able to use these at other places though, as they can be strict on what companies models you use.  

This is an international forum, so please specify: American Dollars? Australian Dollars? 

Based on that subsumption, I assume American dollars :

- Start Collecting Ironjawz 85 $

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Start-Collecting-Ironjawz

- Ironjawz weirdnob warband 65 $

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Ironjawz-Weirdnob-Warband

= 150 $

Buy the Megaboss last, when you saved up 40 $

- Megaboss 40 $

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Ironjawz-Orruk-Megaboss

Et voila, competetive enough.

Archived