New factions?

Fishmen and Squiblies ;) 

But seriously, Light & Shadow Realm Aelves, a Slaaneshi Host thingy (I'd LOVE to see their version of Tzzangors and Pestigors!), and I still really expect a reimagining of Tomb Kings for AoS. Not old models, but, as we all know...#Settra'sNotDoneYet :) 

Fishmen and Squiblies [emoji6] 
But seriously, Light & Shadow Realm Aelves, a Slaaneshi Host thingy (I'd LOVE to see their version of Tzzangors and Pestigors!), and I still really expect a reimagining of Tomb Kings for AoS. Not old models, but, as we all know...#Settra'sNotDoneYet [emoji4] 

Aah, Fishmen, I'm still hoping. With Chutulhu aelves, who knows, maybe they will finally get some love

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

@Veterannoob has covered things pretty well there. The only thing I can add is that there has been speculation simmering since the start of AoS that 'Undead Stormcast' might end up being the AoS equivalent of Chaos Space Marines. But this is pure speculation based on the shady relationship between Lord Relictors and Nagash, and not an actual bona fide rumour.

Surely humans must get some attention at some point? The free people and what's left of the Empire seem to have been left out in the cold since Stormcast became the poster boys. I'm expecting some kind of re-emergance of Karl Franz at some point.

But yeah, before that I'm fairly sure Aelves and the other chaos gods will get something.

Well the Stormcast are humans, they are allready get a ton of love and while the Free Guilds are interesting I don't think they will suddenly remove the Stormcasts as the most powerful good guys out there.

As for what is to come, I think the GH2017 new Alliance ability options will give a really good sketch. Which means that I believe that finally Order will have good unique Aelfs sooner or later, Destruction will get another type of Ork and Goblin while Death finally gets fleshed out. Certainly Chaos will recieve some goodies but I wouldn't be suprised if this will be much later somewhere in 2018.

Nurgle and slaanesh books in the style of the other two chaos books are the most obvious. Then we've had these shadow aelf rumours. As people have said before light and shadow aelves seem to be a good shout to have an army from every realm then.
As for death and destruction, it's a bit harder. I'm thinking moonclans will get an update, but we need a new grot faction. I'm hoping that spiderfang gets a big update or we see grot sky pirates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Order, the trend is to take one "rule of cool" element from WHFB and turn it into a single, visually-cohesive faction.

WHFB dwarfs have already been mined twice from slayers and flying machines, while treemen from the wood elves have also been expanded in the same way.

In terms of dark/high elves, the most visually distinctive and thematic tropes would probably be pirates, witches and Lion Rangers. The former may end up merging into these Cthulu elves, while the Daughters of Khaine could conceivably form the mortal element of Slaanesh.

White Lions are my dark horse. I just have a feeling on them, and not just because of the rumour engines necessarily. They just seem the most potentially distinctive of the factions that evolved from the WHFB High Elves. The other High Elf factions are all a much of a muchness to me, with Swifthawk Agents serving as the "none of the above, but we want to keep selling them" faction.

From the Empire, I think "religious zealots" (i.e. Devoted of Sigmar) may have the most legs.

When it comes to completely new armies, one that id really love to see would be araby/persian styled humans 'a la lotr easterlings. But thats just wishful thinking, no idea if there is any such thing in the lore. There are more already existing sub/dangler factions that id like to see re released actually (skryre n deathrattle?)

34 minutes ago, Trout said:

Where is the idea of Cthulhu elves coming from? Have there been hints or is this wild speculation?

wish listers. 

never have i seen Cthulhu mentioned in warhammer. 

people have seen high fantasy tag and started just wish listing things 

1 hour ago, Criti said:

So no more Skeletons then?

Certainly but more unique to GW content. Egyptian mummies with scarabs and the like isnt too unique of a concept. I do think more mixed Nagash armoured lich creatures are. So I see more future in the ghasts-skeletons.

55 minutes ago, Trout said:

Where is the idea of Cthulhu elves coming from? Have there been hints or is this wild speculation?

Sourge Privateers I guess? Dark Sea Elves basically, having acces to tentacle monsters, guys with squid masks etc.

Now it most certainly will not become straight up cthulu elves but having sea elves with deep see creatures is quite likely and unique enough. In addition its also a very GW unique design. Unlike egyptian mummies for example.

My hope is a new death faction based around Deathrattle and the Catophanes from Shadespire. The back story from the Skirmish book would lend itself well to a reimagining of TK and Wight Kings for AoS. Not Egyptian skellies but still ancient kingdoms, now undead but with reasons to hate and rebel against Nagash (at least til he puts his boot down).

2 hours ago, Killax said:

Certainly but more unique to GW content. Egyptian mummies with scarabs and the like isnt too unique of a concept. I do think more mixed Nagash armoured lich creatures are. So I see more future in the ghasts-skeletons.

I think you may have overlooked the joke...

8 hours ago, Trout said:

I think Hastings mentioned something about them on Atia's blog at one point, plus there have been a few tentacley rumour engine pics that seem to have a Cthulhu vibe and look like the tentacle on the Silver Tower Tenebrael Shard's base (a very dark elfy model).

There's also the fact that the kraken/sea monster theme already exists with the Scourge Privateers - so it fits the pattern of taking a distinct element from a WFB army and expanding it into a more unique faction (see: Fyreslayers, Sylvaneth, Overlords).

In other words, still mostly speculation... but speculation with some legs (or peg-legs, or tentacles, or whatever) to it, unlike say Light Aelves or Slaneesh which are pretty much just wishlisting.

10 hours ago, Kamose said:

My hope is a new death faction based around Deathrattle and the Catophanes from Shadespire. The back story from the Skirmish book would lend itself well to a reimagining of TK and Wight Kings for AoS. Not Egyptian skellies but still ancient kingdoms, now undead but with reasons to hate and rebel against Nagash (at least til he puts his boot down).

Certainly an option but why would they rebell against their creator? We know that in the mind of many undead they serve a purpose and like Archaon and Sigmar their followers actually pretty much always like them. For Chaos in a twisted manner but certainly something to aspire to. I see abosolutely no reason for followers of Nagash to dislike him now. For under the current setting the undead arnt straight up vampire slaves anymore and the undead arnt mindless. If anything the whole Tomb King curse dissapeared with AoS. So while Settra fans remain, AoS isnt a next edition WFB ****** in lore either.

To me undead as a seperate thing makes them more established as their own. Nagash isnt treating them bad as far as I know. 

7 hours ago, Davariel said:

I think Hastings mentioned something about them on Atia's blog at one point, plus there have been a few tentacley rumour engine pics that seem to have a Cthulhu vibe and look like the tentacle on the Silver Tower Tenebrael Shard's base (a very dark elfy model).

There's also the fact that the kraken/sea monster theme already exists with the Scourge Privateers - so it fits the pattern of taking a distinct element from a WFB army and expanding it into a more unique faction (see: Fyreslayers, Sylvaneth, Overlords).

In other words, still mostly speculation... but speculation with some legs (or peg-legs, or tentacles, or whatever) to it, unlike say Light Aelves or Slaneesh which are pretty much just wishlisting.

Who is Hastings?

7 hours ago, Davariel said:

Also the addition of the fleetmaster hero added to the last silver tower game (can't remember the name) was seen as a confirmation GW wasn't done with that faction. To be honest the rumour engine pics of tantacles that seemed to resemble the Tenebrael shards were the most solid rumour on this subject. 

On 7/16/2017 at 4:52 AM, Kyriakin said:

White Lions are my dark horse. I just have a feeling on them, and not just because of the rumour engines necessarily. They just seem the most potentially distinctive of the factions that evolved from the WHFB High Elves. The other High Elf factions are all a much of a muchness to me, with Swifthawk Agents serving as the "none of the above, but we want to keep selling them" faction.

I kind of got that feeling as well.  They were one of favorite sub-factions of the High Elf books back in the day, and the models look pretty good even by the current AoS aesthetic.  If I had to pick the next Order Faction to build on, it would be the White Lions.

Archived