Path to Glory - What do you want/expect from it? (Link to full review on page 2)

Morning all,

Just looking to gauge a bit of internet opinion on the upcoming Path to Glory book;

What do you want from the book?
What do you expect from the book?
Do you think you will play Path to Glory?
If yes to the above, would you consider a new project for Path to Glory?
Will the revamped release of Path of Glory make you more/less likely to play Skirmish?

Just a few quick questions off the top of my head. They are not restrictive and are just brief guidelines, if you have anything else you wish to add please do so!

Many thanks

After a solid year of competitive Matched Play at tournaments, I'm looking for Path to Glory to re-spark the narrative side of the hobby with compelling rules and scenarios.

My mate and I are already talking about recreating the Old World narrative where Vlad Von Castein invades and overtakes Sylvania.

I don't think Path to Glory will make me play Skirmish more/less. I see Skirmish as a separate game, just as Mordheim was to WHFB.

I really want some of the aelf factions to get some warband tables. I don't expect all or most of them to get addressed (there are 11!), but 2-3 would make me very happy. If they were factions that I didn't have any models from, I would definitely buy models for them to start a new army. I am a little burned out on matched play and am looking for a more casual, aelf-supported way to play.

I don't think this will affect whether or not I play Skirmish.

I am hopefully optimistic, on the stream they said they at least gave some consideration to the gross imbalances which for me was the main reason nobody wanted to bother with it (nobody wanted to be the dude playing Pestilens with a handful of Plague Monks going up against what would be a 2000 point stormcast army with a stardrake), but from the little preview they showed, it looks like you can still take heroes on big monsters (although it looks like you have a lot fewer choices for followers), which means I think I'll still hear a lot of negative comments about the fact you can easily game the system (despite it being touted as a narrative thing, most people I've seen will still try to game it any way they can to "win" it).  

I'm hoping it's not gross enough that I can pitch a campaign or something at my GW, because I think we really need an AOS event but I don't want to do a boring standard matched play league.

I don't have high hopes. I get the feeling this, like Skirmish, is just some AoS padding while they are focusing all their resources on 40k. I don't think GW is good at balancing army selection in skirmishes like this. After the GHB being unbalanced for path to glory and skirmish being underwhelming I'm not going to give them a third kick at the can. Maybe if I see the book in the store and get to play a demo game but I'm not preordering their mini expansions anymore. They just don't have in then what I'm looking for.

I'm just hoping for some flavorful tables, if not for every faction, than at least close enough to every faction that it is viable to get a small campaign amongst friends using the PtG tables without significant modification, and that tables feels appropriate for the various factions.

After that, yes, I hope the reason it is separate book is because there are some official template campaigns, but more importantly, I hope they have found a way to give a bit of balance to prevent turds from ruining what should otherwise just be a good time.

16 hours ago, wayniac said:

I am hopefully optimistic, on the stream they said they at least gave some consideration to the gross imbalances which for me was the main reason nobody wanted to bother with it (nobody wanted to be the dude playing Pestilens with a handful of Plague Monks going up against what would be a 2000 point stormcast army with a stardrake), but from the little preview they showed, it looks like you can still take heroes on big monsters (although it looks like you have a lot fewer choices for followers), which means I think I'll still hear a lot of negative comments about the fact you can easily game the system (despite it being touted as a narrative thing, most people I've seen will still try to game it any way they can to "win" it).  

I'm hoping it's not gross enough that I can pitch a campaign or something at my GW, because I think we really need an AOS event but I don't want to do a boring standard matched play league.

Same worry and wish here. Although when you look at the origin it becomes the problem diminishes. Originally the concept of path to glory was meant for Chaos vs Chaos. So within a faction. 

With the GH rules the same thing seems to be true. It's still very fun playing stormcast vs stormcast or whatever you fancy. 

Wanting it to be closer together for the different factions might still not be possible. 

I hope that they build on the success of Skirmish and help keep a level of interest in AOS going. Both the GW stores local to me have been running Skirmish Leagues and / or putting days aside on their gaming tables for Skirmish, which is great to see in an area that seems to be dominated by 40k (I suspect that many / most areas are). I've not been able to make any Skirmish days unfortunately, due to odd shift patterns, but I'm hopeful of getting to a few and being able to commit to a Path to Glory campaign, which I'm assuming will follow.

Don't think I'll start a new project, as I'm still only around halfway through my first AOS army, however I'd like for a P2G campaign to help create a narrative around my current project, giving it additional flavor and perhaps even informing the direction in which I expand. 

Well, this is what is listed as being in the PtG in the Warhammer Digital site:

- The Rise of Gulgaz – the story of the meteoric rise of Gulgaz Stoneklaw and his warclan, who expanded into a veritable juggernaut of an army;

- A detailed explanation of the Path to Glory campaign: how to create a warband, how Glory Points are accrued and spent (and the rewards they bring), and how to achieve eternal glory – the final victory in a campaign;

- A Warband Roster – this is a blank roster on which to document your warband and its exploits – you’re free to photocopy this;

- 6 Battleplans – essentially, missions you can use in your campaign, each with a different objective that changes the way your games are played;

- Warband Tables – these are the rules used to determine the champion, followers and rewards for your warbands. Included are tables for the following factions: Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Slaanesh, Beasts of Chaos, Skaven, Clans Pestilens, Kharadron Overlords, Stormcast Eternals, Fyreslayers, Sylvaneth, Seraphon, Order (chosen from Human, Aelf and Duardin models), Ironjawz, Beastclaw Raiders, Bonesplitterz, Destruction (chosen from Orruk, Grot and Ogor models), Flesh-Eater Courts and Death;

- Start Collecting! Warbands – if you’re itching to get going, but don’t have the right models for a warband (or just fancy a new one…) then these are the rules for you – they’re designed to work with the Start Collecting! boxes of Warhammer Age of Sigmar models. Simply pick up a box, assemble the miniatures and you’re good to go – these rules have been fine-tuned to offer immediacy and balance.

I expect a fleshed out version of PTG from the GHB for a reasonable price so lots of people can pick it up and get involved no matter which army they want to play and thus drive the narrative/casual scene...

Now I've just seen the pre-order go up and it's priced at £20, which feels a bit high I was expecting it somewhere between £8 to £12... Old GW... is that you?  

Having said that I will wait to see the actual thing before I cast final judgement.

Path to Glory didn't interest me in the original GHB because the disparity in power between the units was too great. If you have to self-regulate it can't be played as a game in my opinion. So the most important thing I am hoping for is a more structured system that limits the power of starting warbands to be much more in-line with each other.

Providing that's there, I am really excited. I want to see what the Order Warband looks like, a mix of Humans, Aelves and Duardin is exactly what I love to collect!

I have also pre-ordered the Fyreslayer SC and would love to play with them as their own army in PtG.

I am hoping for a good campaign system. I would like them to throw out the traditional ideas of a map/matrix/tree campaign and go for something more unique. Imagine being able to control territories like in Necromunda, or perhaps having army stances like "Live off the Land", "Fortify for the Winter", "Pillage the settlement" etc etc. you could have a Campaign events table that changed every week - maybe a different one for each of the Realms.

There's lots of exciting things that can be done :) 

Start Collecting! Warbands – if you’re itching to get going, but don’t have the right models for a warband (or just fancy a new one…) then these are the rules for you – they’re designed to work with the Start Collecting! boxes of Warhammer Age of Sigmar models. Simply pick up a box, assemble the miniatures and you’re good to go – these rules have been fine-tuned to offer immediacy and balance.

After Skirmish this is one of the best ideas they've had for new players. Sure, £20 on top of a SC box is maybe a bit rough, but you could start a tale of 4 warlords this way at only a fiver entry between players. No idea what the content of the book is, but it's an excellent idea for younger players, and is definitely the face of GW that I enjoy seeing the most.

Morning,

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts in here, both positive and negative. It seems a base level a lot of people are wanting and hoping for the same kind of things from this release, which stands to reason I guess.

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:45 PM, MrCharisma said:

What are your thoughts @Chris Tomlin ?

My podcast review of the new book will be released tonight at 8PM GMT - www.theblacksun.co.uk or search The Black Sun on iTunes

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, DynamicCalories said:

Start Collecting! Warbands – if you’re itching to get going, but don’t have the right models for a warband (or just fancy a new one…) then these are the rules for you – they’re designed to work with the Start Collecting! boxes of Warhammer Age of Sigmar models. Simply pick up a box, assemble the miniatures and you’re good to go – these rules have been fine-tuned to offer immediacy and balance.

After Skirmish this is one of the best ideas they've had for new players.

Agree, it's a really great idea and IMO one of the coolest bits of the book. Awesome for new players and also has potential for an experienced group to start with a "Tale of.." campaign.

I like what @bottle mentioned, using the Necromunda territory concept along with different stances. I wouldn't mind if they take a page from the WHF Mighty Empires and use grids with random events based on what realm you are in. What I want to see is whether a small group of friends/community players can easily go down to their FLGS and run a PTG campaign straight out of the book with no outside tinkering. 

On a side note, while I definitely enjoy the simplicity of Age of Sigmar, I would like to see their expansions and other forms of play (PTG, Skirmish, WHQ, etc) receive some more complexity to enhance their RPG elements 

Do any of the bloggers have reviews up for it yet?

Edit: Tyler has a good review up, although he doesn't give away anything it seems there is much more balance being added. Certain generals (Like Frostlords on Stonehorns) get you zero followers in the campaign, and certain followers take up two slots. So it's certainly not a Lord Celestant on Stardrake and 5x Drakesworn Templars haha.

Do any of the bloggers have reviews up for it yet? Edit: Tyler has a good review up, although he doesn't give away anything it seems there is much more balance being added. Certain generals (Like Frostlords on Stonehorns) get you zero followers in the campaign, and certain followers take up two slots. So it's certainly not a Lord Celestant on Stardrake and 5x Drakesworn Templars haha.

Have you looked at Chris' podcast?

I do think they've at least tried to fix some, with some powerful choices giving much less followers (0 was mentioned for a frostlord on stonehorn!) or costing more picks (Concussors were mentioned as costing 2 follower choices).  I can still see some abuses for it with unscrupulous people, since GW stated also they would not limit summoning but since it's a narrative campaign you're meant to play with friends, why would you be "that guy"; of course we all know that some people will abuse it just because they can, friends be damned.  Still, I'm optimistic it sounds pretty good.

3 hours ago, wayniac said:

I do think they've at least tried to fix some, with some powerful choices giving much less followers (0 was mentioned for a frostlord on stonehorn!) or costing more picks (Concussors were mentioned as costing 2 follower choices).  I can still see some abuses for it with unscrupulous people, since GW stated also they would not limit summoning but since it's a narrative campaign you're meant to play with friends, why would you be "that guy"; of course we all know that some people will abuse it just because they can, friends be damned.  Still, I'm optimistic it sounds pretty good.

Yeah, agreed. Definitely more thought has gone into it this time.

It's a very hard thing to get right though in a narrative and thematic way without having some imabalances. Heck, small games (1k less) already have imabalances, and then you've got the options of starting with guys on Stonehorns and Stardrakes. It's of course, going to not be balanced.

I think, take it for what it is. If you want a more balanced way of building up forces, then just play matched play points with increments (Say 200 points every month). If you have a small group that wants to play a more narrative slow grow campaign, then Path to Glory is probably up your alley.

Personally, it's definitely more appealing this time around that they've attempted to balance it a bit more. The gross imbalances between the tables in the GHB meant that it wasn't even worth a look at.

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed by the price, and hope it's not a trend that follows with the Generals Handbook.

For something that has less pages than GHB1, I think it's a bit poor to be asking more for Path to Glory.

That being said, GHB may have a lower price point due to it being updated every year (and hence, a recurring cost).

Archived