Converting the silver tower duplicates

Chikout

So I thought I would try and add some variety to the duplicate sprue from the silver tower box by doing some converting. I have absolutely no skill with green stuff so I will just be doing a bit of swapping of limbs. I will be converting the Tzangors, the Acolytes and the horrors. Here is my first effort. The standard figure is on the left, the conversion is on the right. What do you think? image.jpeg

The way some of the bits go together is bizarre which makes things a bit difficult. I think I will try to give the running acolyte a shield. The Tzangor with the staff will be the most problematic. There is not much you can do to it without some major surgery. I also have some  left over battle mage bits which will work well with the Horrors.

simple and incredibly effective- good thinking!

was pretty impressed with how complicated some of the builds are for these models. I know some were thinking this would be an easy gate-way for newbies into the world of the tabletop (which it is a fantastic box of goodness!) but it is certainly not for the newbie hobbyist and why I think GW didn't go the route of 'big box stores' to garner new eyes.

Nice work, with the addition of a varied paint scheme the two models will look significantly different.

Nearly all of the new GW kits are amazing, with their current design philosophy leading to good looking models with few visible mould lines. However, converting many of the newer figures (particularly fantasy box game figures) is not straight forward - which makes your job all the more impressive.

For converting Tzeentch figures I would suggest trying something bizarre - maybe a horror hand on a cultist? Why not add an extra arm rather than do an arm swap? Also adding things like books, scrolls, bottles and other trinkets to their belts/free hands might be an effective way to add variety?

I'll be watching with interest.

MGP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a great idea and I will indeed be mixing the weapons around with some of my models.  However the model you've converted above is I believe the Kairic Adept who has a more powerful spell attack and shouldn't really be armed with a glaive.  I guess you could use him as a mini character (a bit like the Librarian) so he'd have the bonus damage from having a glaive and bonus damage to his sorcerous bolts, maybe increase his vigour as well.

A bit of rule converting to go with the mini converting will only make the game more interesting. I will be making one sprue vanilla so they can use the vanilla rules. Here are the four cultists I have converted. So far I have needed just one dab of green stuff. I have only been able to snatch a few moments of hobby time but tomorrow I should have a couple of hours free to do some more work.

DSC_0419.JPG

Here are the 8 cultists together.. I am pretty happy with how they turned out. The tzangors are looking like a much more difficult prospect.  Anything more than minor changes will require some pretty major green stuff work for which I lack the skill.  Hopefully a little creative painting and basing will help.  The cultists are just tacked onto their bases for now. I am planning on varying the heights a little.image.jpeg

I had a crack at the Tzaangors - nothing more ambitious than weapon swaps, and I had to do a lot of rebulding on the arms for the great weapon. Worth the effort, I think - you can't have a Tower of Change with models looking the same.

Standard ones on the left, conversions on the right.

sTz9bL2xUYkjddovEr7kogPTTJvilK_lRMOqX9bv

DSC_0422.JPGThe blue Horrors are done too. That is the converting pretty much done. The grot duplicates already look fine. It is a shame that the familiars are duplicates but I don't want to take a knife to them. I will probably use one of them to make a duel with Archaon. Once I have finished all the assembly I will probably get back to work on Archaon. At this rate I will probably have the set painted up by Christmas.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived