Da Bad Grinz - Ironjawz

William Dickinson

Hello there traveller,

This is slightly overdue but alas here we are - Da Bad Grinz - I won't lie, it took me a lot longer to come up with the name (In fact it came to me one particularly unpleasant night during some sort of fevered dream state) than I care to admit, I'm quite particular about naming things so I don't want to commit and decide to change in a months time!

Similar to other topics of this sort I'll be posting progress as well as thoughts and questions to those of you who have more answers than myself. As such any feedback or help you are willing to offer - please do! I'll also make an effort to comment on certain things I struggled with and any solutions I found so that others may benefit.

My Ironjawz consist of a start collecting box, a Weirdnob warband, a black orc big boss I recently acquired and another unit of brutes that is constructed of other models within the GW and FW range. Another thing I don't care to admit is how long it has taken me to assemble all of this, it seems I'm quite slow and overly thorough with mould lines, even going as far at times to scrape edges when I know they're there but can't see them.

Anyway time to attach some bad pictures of grey plastic dappled with milliput as I'm currently in the process of filling every gap that I can see, probably making more of a mess in the process.

This is Megaboss 'Daddy' Waaghbux - Not 100% on the name but it makes me chuckle. Apologies for the blutac, I haven't attached his hands as I want to magnetise them both for future ventures, and the skull parts too as I'm in the process of sorting any gaps first. Also different head on this guy which was fun and satisfying to do.

DSC06060.JPG.432fea064fb0d9b44722017d0cf50c4e.JPG

Here we have my Weirdnob who has no name, probably because I like calling him a Weirdnob. And my Warchanter Garth whose chest pieces caused me an absolute nightmare as I decided it was a good idea to glue them together so sub-assembly purposes, in the end I've pinned both and drilled his nips ( managed to go straight through one chest piece with my drill which was rad cool)

DSC06068.JPG.a47d36e622614359eea5db581234ae05.JPG

Brutes, they were all a dream as I was able to stick their chest pieces together separately for painting purposes, and still manage to wriggle them into place for when I do eventually glue them. All apart from peg leg there second from the right, he's the only one who won't do that and as such I've had to leave his chest pieces separate to get them in - which is why they look weird propped up in there.

DSC06065.JPG.56b922989956a14b3dd3dd563ec6368d.JPG

Okay so technically I've lied, I have only constructed five out of my fifteen 'Ardboys. I plan on having them all with two single handed weapons, and I'll probably get another Weirdnob Warband to round them out to 20 'Ardboys and for the other Brutes too. I've also decided not to bothwe with any Milliput goodness on these guys as I'm going slightly insane with it, and also the joints aren't bad at all, none of them are over flat pieces of armour so I'm chill.

DSC06070.JPG.10044adb1161c4e224f5c755a52665ff.JPGDSC06073.JPG.0ccbef24f8c45ab55098d5808d24eec3.JPG

Very Excitingly I've done a minor addition to my drummer and added a spare axe to his back for cool factor and also so he legitimately has two weapons. I've used two small lengths of wire and twisted them tightly using an electric drill to get this rope effect, and after a bit of manipulation I'm happy with the results.

DSC06074.JPG.751ea7656077d207b7a6014f2d2bdb88.JPG

Gore-Gruntas are super super cool models, the number of gaps in their faces and undersides annoy me, as well as the backs of the riders themselves having lots of joints to fill, also on the two normal pigs the ears were fairly frustrating. In fact the one on the right didn't go in properly before the glue set so I've had to fill a couple of mm here and there around the ears but it makes no difference now. Also the boss has a second choppa, because he's the boss and gets an extra attack so it's fluffy or something. The weapon was an unused one from my Brutes and fit perfectly.

DSC06075.JPG.c6c072765ffd670740f97eb958824aef.JPG

And finally my rag-tag band of Brutes from across the realms. Featured as the Brute boss with claw and smasha we have Grumlok and Gazbag in the centre, the friendly Moonclan Grot offering emotional support in the bromance. Either side of Grumlok we have Badruk on the left and Grimgor on the right (Jagged Gore-Hackas), both direct descendants from their name-sakes (or so they tell everyone). And finally the two resin models from Forgeworld have yet to be named, for the one with the big axe (Gore-choppa) I'm thinking Ludwig 'Eadhunter, and for the one with the wyvern wing standard (Jagged Gore-Hacka) I'm thinking 'Blahblah Wyvernsmasha' or something along those lines. 

DSC06062.JPG.e26366cebfd5ede8e6f176a6de7664c2.JPG

And that's it for now! I'm putting them all on Shattered Dominion bases, I'm looking to use a colour scheme that compliments their skin and armour. But this post is probably illegally long or something like that now so I'll stop here. I'm away for the weekend so progress will be slow for a while. I'm super stoked to get them on the table but that won't be for a long time yet as I don't want to put them on their bases until everything is basically painted. I've pinned all their feet for painting access and drilled some pieces of wood for them to sit on.

Okay seriously I'll stop now, if you've read this far then thank you for feigning interest.

Thanks team

Will x

I love it, welcome to the Waaagh!

The small conversions are ace, I love the drummer especially. And your rag tag brutes are amazing, I have that pewter Warhammer Online-dude myself and planned to use him for a Big Boss.

Also, remember, pink wins everything!

8 hours ago, Payce said:

I love it, welcome to the Waaagh!

The small conversions are ace, I love the drummer especially. And your rag tag brutes are amazing, I have that pewter Warhammer Online-dude myself and planned to use him for a Big Boss.

Also, remember, pink wins everything!

Thanks! Yes I rather like the alternate Brutes, hopefully my local GW store where I play will be fine with it- not sure how keen they are on anything that isn't 100% legit! 

Funnily my colour scheme will be mainly black, but all of the flinty looking shards or 'teef' on the armour I'll be doing in a nice crystal like purple hopefully, but I'm sure some pink will make it in at some point as I am quite keen on pink! Classic destruction.

I'm a big fan of Gazbag, super cool model but a total lump, I've put three pins into him! 

William x

Hey @William Dickinson.

Welcome to the forum. Nice post, sounds like you have some solid plans in place! Your assembly is incredibly thorough...excessively so perhaps haha! I can't see why you'd need the milliput on most of those plastic models, but to each their own. I'd certainly prefer to see this approach as opposed to the other extreme; moudlines! So good work thus far.

1 hour ago, William Dickinson said:

Funnily my colour scheme will be mainly black, but all of the flinty looking shards or 'teef' on the armour I'll be doing in a nice crystal like purple hopefully, but I'm sure some pink will make it in at some point as I am quite keen on pink!

Interested to see your painting, it sounds like your colour scheme will be very similar to mine (check out my thread somewhere below this one), perhaps identical if you pick pink over purple haha!

That Warhammer Online model is super cool. I too picked one up with the idea of using him as a second Megaboss and you're right he is a lump haha! Not sure he fits in all that well with the Ironjawz aesthetic, primarily because of the fur cloak. I'd still really like to use him at some point though. Your varied Brute unit is a fun idea for sure.

Keep up the great work! I look forward to reading more.
Chris

7 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

That Warhammer Online model is super cool. I too picked one up with the idea of using him as a second Megaboss and you're right he is a lump haha! Not sure he fits in all that well with the Ironjawz aesthetic, primarily because of the fur cloak. I'd still really like to use him at some point though. Your varied Brute unit is a fun idea for sure.

I was thinking sort of the same, until I realised that painting the fur cloak the same colour as the Gore-gruntas means he's tha baddust brut uv dem all! He wrestled a grunta all on his own and layeth the smack.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

22 minutes ago, Payce said:

I was thinking sort of the same, until I realised that painting the fur cloak the same colour as the Gore-gruntas means he's tha baddust brut uv dem all! He wrestled a grunta all on his own and layeth the smack.

Yeh, decent shout actually. That is the colour choice I would default to tbh, but didn't draw the comparison with the Gruntas. I'd defo cut that weird little Grot off his shoulder though!!

3 hours ago, Payce said:

Basically the only way to look at him, otherwise it is very out of place, but grunta style will be super cool! 

3 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Yeh, decent shout actually. That is the colour choice I would default to tbh, but didn't draw the comparison with the Gruntas. I'd defo cut that weird little Grot off his shoulder though!!

Gazbag is a funny character, if you look closely it seems he has some dwarven beards that he wears a bit like a wig? But I do like the story potential in their bromance as they rise through the ranks due to their natural mixture of brutal and cunnin'. 

Maybe I'm too thorough with my preparation, just massive gaps down the foreheads of my pigs and down the back of their riders etc would annoy me! I'll probably get fed up with it all eventually.

Will x

On 05/07/2017 at 11:22 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

@William Dickinson - What glue do you use? I used to shun plastic glue, but for the past year or so I've found it really useful and the way it melts the pieces together often deals with any smaller gaps I find.

My post wasn't meant negatively; I'd 100% rather see people taking the time like you are as opposed to gaps and mouldlines!

Funnily enough I've used super glue because I also shunned plastic glue, but after my escapade with all these unsightly gaps I've moved to plastic glue, obviously too late now but hopefully in the future will cut this huge step out that has slowed things to a crawl!

No negativity taken Chris- I'm more just a tad annoyed the gap is there in the first place and that I was late to the plastic glue party! 

Good thinking, it's definitely something I'd suggest to anyone in the future. I might still super glue anything I might was to take off at a later date, but honestly with most stuff once it's all painted it's best to leave it. Unless Daddy Krunk needs a new power klaw in which case have at it!

William

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Progress has been slow, I've had a lot going on and cleaning up the Milliput has been a real pain, I've added some mini sanding sticks to my arsenal which has helped greatly, I'm a big fan! I'm basically ready to prime now which is pretty rad, I'm excited to get some paint on these ladz! 

Also I assembled 5 more 'Ardboys to make sure I have a squad of 10. I've not done my last 5 because I wouldn't be able to field a full unit with them anyway.

IMG_1862.JPG.b25bb0131207444566440db4610db6e2.JPG

Because I wanted to field them all with Choppas & Smashas, and the box doesn't come with enough left hand weapons if you don't make the drummer- so I've trimmed a hand off of a double handed mace for the standard bearer on the right. Also I've given them all different heads, I'm hoping that when with my other 5 using original heads they will mix in nicely! I wanted to make sure the boss of the 'Ardboys is easily recognisable.

IMG_1863.JPG.f36bb2eedb76ca3f7c4ecb1699ba2839.JPG

And finally, in the distance a scout has been glimpsed. The boyz fink he might be sizing them up...

IMG_1864.JPG.257d9b0c525dce39f6935ee85f86cfb9.JPG

So I might have aquired an Icewind Assault box, on the back of the new start collecting boxes I wouldn't be shocked if they stopped producing these. I'm really keen on magnetising as I just love being able to mess about and pull things apart and change them up, so I've been practicing on my hunter here.IMG_1865.JPG.e572cff5163f121f3f40a229c9883859.JPG

Initially I just wanted to be able to use both of his gut covers, then I wanted to repose his arm from a vertical to horizontal angle when I felt like it. And finally the spears/crossbow for transportation purposes and to stop it snapping here. I'm really happy with the outcome, and hope I can do a good job with the larger models from the box! Oh and I filed off all of the random warts on his head, so he's the prettiest little hunter of em all. I'm considering what size base to use for him, I have his normal 50mm but I might use one of the 65mm shattered dominion bases as he fits nicely and it will tie him with Daddy Waaghbux and the rest of my destruction forces- thoughts?

Thanks team,

Will x

Greetings! 

I have eventually finished up the tedious clean up of milliput- for future reference I'll be using plastic glue all the way as it makes a much cleaner seam. I'll still need the milliput for any pesky air holes and such for both finecast and the sprue connection holes that come up from time to time- you win some you learn some! But for reference, despite looking a tad messy in sections that I really wanted to be smooth, like the Weirdnob's shoulders, once primed it's given a really seamless finish!

Everything is primed now, excluding a few of the shattered dominion bases as I got a tad excited and forgot I still need to clean up the edges and sprue marks. All of my brutes have been pinned to their bases which was satisfying, I'm not going to glue them any time soon as I want better access to dry brush the bases but I wanted to get the drilling done before I had put any paint on them. In retrospect I maybe should have drilled them before priming but I'm not sure which way round works best, the primer could have filled the holes slightly and require me going around them again anyway.

My next dilemma is basing my Icebrow Hunter and eventually my Yhetees. My main focus is obviously my Ironjawz but it's good to have a plan. All of these come on a 50mm base, and the closest shattered dominion bases are 40mm or 65mm. Obviously 40mm is too small so I'm looking at using a 65 even just for my hunter, or I can use the scenery bits and make up their 50mm bases to fit the theme and cover any bits that don't look as good in some snow materials.image.jpg.90f613cab63b4490ba5951133a42766e.jpg

Something like this could work, I plan on adding a bit of snow to my Ironjawz but  more to the Beastclaws. Otherwise this is the 65mm which fits nicely.

image.jpg.e84d4626a944f21b89e5a7e00dd76aa3.jpg

Here's a base size comparison:

image.jpg.a1abae05ca4238da515e9007c6726a70.jpg

Daddy Waaghbux is very content on the 65mm, which is seemingly the same as the 60mm base he came with? Apologies to @Chris Tomlin for shamelessly copying his power klaw. I've tried to make it fairly understated and as such the joint is no where near as nice as yours, but for a first attempt I'm fairly satisfied! I'll be using his normal hand most of the time anyway.

image.jpg.15323fee7662f3f1c6859e46654e7be7.jpg

Cheers everyone,

William x

I think you'll get better results out of adding the shattered dominion pieces to the 50mm. The hunter just gets lost on that 60mm (plus it's a disadvantage in play). If I remember correctly, there are quite a few options on the scenery basing SD box, many of which fit together nicely.

And yeah, once primed, all those small imperfections are typically fixed. Large ones will remain, but he's already looking more finished.

Hi @William Dickinson,

I would 100% advise 50mm bases for Yhettees and the Hunter. 60mm is too big, both aesthetically and for gameplay.

Just add some of the shattered dominion pieces to the bases. @The Lost Lighthouse (Gary) has done this on his and once you've painted them up and added sand/snow/tufts/flock/static grass on whatever else you are doing they will all tie in nicely.

And no worries re the Power Klaw, I'm expecting Krunk to be quite the fashion trendsetter for Megabosses this season! ;) 
Yours looks good, which klaw did you use?

Chris

• 11 months later...

Good afternoon,

Because of reasons I fell out of hobby progress - anyhow I'm home for the summer and keen to crack on!

I'm quite content with my armour scheme, probably just need to add a finer highlight when I get a lighter grey/just mix one up.

However I was looking for some advice on basing - I've gone for the shattered dominion bases obviously and initially went for a tan/brown base overall with  purple in the cracks, but I wasn't too taken with this and so decided to try a grey and green! Any thoughts, c&c - all the rest - is highly appreciated! 

Glad to be back,

Will

IMG_2741.JPG.ceae00b2dc0c728ab49d232ff69f0079.JPG IMG_2742.JPG.f685db530b6d6208a4b1b4658d993e9c.JPG

Archived