GHB2 - Allegiance Abilities Wish List

So with the news of the GHB2 out, what factions are you hoping will get allegiance abilities, and what are you hoping they look like?

Personally, I hope the Swifthawks get some kind of allegiance ability that lets them run and shoot universally. They just strike me as such a hit and run army that it would fit their fluff wonderfully.

Honestly, that's the flavor that Wanderers used to own, and should have again. Problem is in AoS so many armies are capable of completely crossing the table and charging in their first turn, so mobility doesn't help you 50% of the time. 

I hope Freeguild get some kind of orders system akin to 40k Astra Militarum. In fact, I already gave it a shot!

FreePeoplesAllegiance.pdf

But overall, pretty keen to see what Allegiance Abilities are made, and whether or not it makes some of the sub-factions more viable or interesting as a result.  I'd love to do a Dark Aelf army or use some of the High Aelves I have sitting around in boxes, but at the moment it's just not that attractive to start another sub-par army when people are rolling around with Skyfires.

For armies I already play, keen to see what happens with Free Peoples, lesser extent Slaves to Darkness (because my force is already mixed, I won't get to use it anyway). Also Bray Herds and Seraphon, since I have armies of those from previous editions which I could migrate onto rounds if the abilities are interesting enough.

40 minutes ago, Killax said:

I hope multiple ones for Death. I want this Grand Alliance to mean something in the game and not so much be the joke of the show.

I hope there will me some for Death. It is annouced that there will be one for Nighthaunt (Ghosts). Nighthaunt still needs a proper General and Caster.

But in fact, they have to be very strong, because Ruler of Night and/or Red Fury are very strong too. Just like the Cursed Book ist a no-brainer for my armylists.

I don't know I think Greenskinz could use a tune up.  The regular orruks and the Ironjawz I mean (the grots have already been mentioned).  They don't really have anything all that interesting honestly.  I'm sure there is something they could add to make them just a bit more... Orruky.

For Flesh-Eater Courts I'd like something to help stop character sniping, since A) it can easily cripple the army and B) it doesn't look like it will be a global rule anytime soon. Something like an army-wide bonus for characters similar to the Necromancer or Arkanaut Admiral where you can shunt wounds off to nearby unit, something like, as an example:

Unwavering Devotion
So delusional are the wretches of the Flesh-Eater court that they will gladly give up their lives for their king and his "court".  When a friendly non-MONSTER FLESH-EATER COURTS HERO suffers a wound or mortal wound while within 6" of a unit with the MORDANT keyword, you may choose a model from that unit to suffer the wound instead.

However, the issue is that Ruler of the Night is so good that I really question how they will address it; if it's not nerfed or changed, then I can see most Death armies still picking it over anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

the death problem is not the lack of allegiance ability, because death allegiance is VERY GOOD, but lack of models and synergy. Nothing more.

A new allegiance shiny thing won't resolve all the problems

I hope the 4 Grand Alliances get beefed-up allegiance abilities so that collecting a mixed-faction force continues to be an attractive option. It would be a real shame if, having given us all of this freedom and choice in army composition, GW now pushes people towards single-faction armies because only people who play that way will benefit from grossly overpowered free bonuses.

I'd like to see Destruction toned down. I think it either it should be toned down to D3 or D3+1, or it should be more akin to Animosity (Although, I suspect that might end up being used for Greenskinz).

Perhaps any unit not in combat, Roll a D6, on a roll of 1, the unit cannot move for the remainder of your turn and cannot attack in the shooting phase. On a roll of 2-5, the unit can immediately move D6" as if it were the movement phase (no running or retreating). On a roll of 6, the unit may immediately move D6" as if it were the movement phase (No running or retreating), and gains an additional +1 to hit if they complete a successful charge this turn.

That way at least it's something that has a potential drawback (although, it has a potential advantage as well). That being said, I'm unsure if GW want to make abilities with a potential downside (Although I think it adds more interesting decision making into the game), to date they've only ever been bonuses.

I'd like to see the Chaos one buffed also. For an ability that only occurs during the combat phase, it's way too swingy. In my last tournament (4 games, 1200 points), I didn't once get the buff off. I think it' the ugly duckling of the Grand Alliance abilities, and while I have no qualms with abilities not being a sure thing, it feels odd that the other 3 are always going to benefit you in their given situation, but Chaos one rarely works at all.

I don't know how to make it more balanced or less unreliable though. Maybe you embrace the unreliability instead. Perhaps something that could work better is you roll in the Hero phase, and gain +1 to hit and +1 to charge rolls. That way at least you can plan your turn out knowing how well your units will perform in combat.

1 hour ago, someone2040 said:

I'd like to see Destruction toned down. I think it either it should be toned down to D3 or D3+1, or it should be more akin to Animosity (Although, I suspect that might end up being used for Greenskinz).

Perhaps any unit not in combat, Roll a D6, on a roll of 1, the unit cannot move for the remainder of your turn and cannot attack in the shooting phase. On a roll of 2-5, the unit can immediately move D6" as if it were the movement phase (no running or retreating). On a roll of 6, the unit may immediately move D6" as if it were the movement phase (No running or retreating), and gains an additional +1 to hit if they complete a successful charge this turn.

That way at least it's something that has a potential drawback (although, it has a potential advantage as well). That being said, I'm unsure if GW want to make abilities with a potential downside (Although I think it adds more interesting decision making into the game), to date they've only ever been bonuses.

I'd like to see the Chaos one buffed also. For an ability that only occurs during the combat phase, it's way too swingy. In my last tournament (4 games, 1200 points), I didn't once get the buff off. I think it' the ugly duckling of the Grand Alliance abilities, and while I have no qualms with abilities not being a sure thing, it feels odd that the other 3 are always going to benefit you in their given situation, but Chaos one rarely works at all.

I don't know how to make it more balanced or less unreliable though. Maybe you embrace the unreliability instead. Perhaps something that could work better is you roll in the Hero phase, and gain +1 to hit and +1 to charge rolls. That way at least you can plan your turn out knowing how well your units will perform in combat.

Funnily enough, for the first few months I thought it was D3+1 and D6 for the command trait. Tbh it didn't make much difference but I agree it does help to tone it down. 

I don't think anyone wants a return to the animosity rule though. I personally would stop playing destruction if I had to roll a D6 every phase knowing that at the key crunch point I'd roll 1s. D3 is enough... 

It'll be interesting to see if they also address some of the artifacts in the alliances. I'd be surprised if they don't change battle brew or include something else worth taking instead 

1 minute ago, Earthtremor said:

Funnily enough, for the first few months I thought it was D3+1 and D6 for the command trait. Tbh it didn't make much difference but I agree it does help to tone it down. 

I don't think anyone wants a return to the animosity rule though. I personally would stop playing destruction if I had to roll a D6 every phase knowing that at the key crunch point I'd roll 1s. D3 is enough... 

It'll be interesting to see if they also address some of the artifacts in the alliances. I'd be surprised if they don't change battle brew or include something else worth taking instead 

I think if you had the choice, it's a trade off you decide whether or not you want to make.

I did a similar thing in my homebrewed Free Peoples allegiance abilities I linked near the top of the topic.

You can choose to give an order, and on a 1 it fails and on a 3+ it goes off (On a 2, it's just lost in the midst of battle). But if you're close to a unit (within 6"), you get +1 to your roll so you can't get the negative result if you're nearby the unit. Similar to the GA rules, I also added command traits that supplement the ability (1 that allows you to do a second order if the initial order succeeds on a 6 or more, and another that allows you to re-roll failed orders).

I think it adds interesting dynamics into the game to have abilities which may have a negative impact but the reward happens most of the time. It adds an element to the game where the player has to decide whether or not the risk is worthwhile. It's similar in that Wrathmongers have an interesting ability, because if you use them poorly the enemy may benefit more than the player using them.

That being said, I can understand that Animosity would possibly be a frustrating mechanic, and it also leads to odd situations if optional where you may not want to use it as you're close enough to the enemy to guarantee a favourable charge anyway. Perhaps, it means the good parts need to be strong enough that 70% of the time you'll always use it, 20% of the time you have to make an interesting choice, and 10% of the time it may not be worthwhile to use it. Perhaps if the +1 to hit went off on a 5+ rather than 6. So 16% bad, 33% super good, the rest just good.

Anyway, will definitely be interesting to see what happens on the Destruction side of things. They've got super good abilities at the moment that will surely be toned down, and at the very least will get Allegiance Abilities for the Ironjawz as well.

10 minutes ago, ssharkus said:

Ward save for daemons as in 40k

I think that'll be unlikely, as Khorne and Tzeentch already have allegiance abilities which don't include this.

It also adds weird things. Should Skyfires get a 'ward save' because they're riding on a Disc? 

I think it's something that would be better put on Warscrolls (Which basically means, we're probably not going to see it anytime soon).

Archived