Clan of the Wastes - A Fimir Warband for Path to Glory

Mohojoe

Hey [mention=2804]Mohojoe[/mention],
Nice blog so far. I enjoyed reading your trials and tribulations whilst sipping my Monday morning tea!
I actually really liked your first skin tone and think that if you'd stuck with that and done the cloth purple as per the newer versions it would've look great. That said, the green you've opted to go with is very nice as well.
The base needs some work, as you say. If you are looking to do muddy puddles then I would build up the bases as you have and then create shallow indentations to sit water effect into. I'm not sure what it'd look like to gloss the entire thing. I like the tufts you've used, as long as you change the static grass I think they'll work.
Keep up the good work.

Hey Chris, thanks for the thoughtful reply, appreciate it.
I also kinda prefer the first skin tone but did worry it would be lost without any other colours than earth tones. The purple robes were a snap decision after painting the green in and looking back I think it would make the first colour look better.
I do have 5 more fimir arriving this week that need stripping so I think I may try the first skin tone again and see how it looks.
I have never used the realistic water before and ( excuse the pun) I think I just need to dive in and give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Managed to get some hobby time today but I needed a break from painting Fimir. Instead I started work on a moonclan grot squad.
Today I have basecoated the lot of them. I'm aiming for a muddy cloth sort of robe for them with dark wood shields to match the marsh that they will come from.
I actually really enjoyed painting a squad rather than a larger mini for a change and it served as some excellent practice for my painting skills.
I still have a long way to go but I'm enjoying the journey.

47d5b1154accc129f2da11b262bec3ef.jpg

I have been working away in my three initial models and they are close to being completed. Just need to tidy up and repose one. In the meantime I bought a joblot of five off EBay but they are over a week late arriving and the seller is not responding. Needless to say I'm not very happy. To keep myself busy I have been messing about with green stuff to try and moulding my own fimir heads for conversions.

This is my best effort so far, seems a very hard task.
36eb4652eae39201870bd188ef2ba80a.jpg

Today i was listening to @Chris Tomlin On the Black Sun Podcast as he reviewed the new Path to Glory rulebook and found his enthusiasm rather infectious. Because of this I have decided to dedicate this warband to the Path to Glory rules setting and I have a skaven project that I will be aiming to hit 2000 points with.

I am going to aim to create a fair set of rules to use a Fimir Warband alongside PTG so that anyone else wishing to play can join in, with relative ease. I will also be creating a small campaign based around the Wasted Marsh where my warband resides. This campaign will be played out with a few of my friends and the results will be posted up on TGA in a narrative short story format. 

So my current warband as it stands contains:

3x Fimm Warriors

20x Gnoblar ( one of the few races that Fimir will ally with to some extent)

1x Stone Gut Troll

I still have not had the rest of my Fimir arrive, which is really annoying me as I am keen to get to work on them and am loathe to buy more until I know whats happening with them. 

I am also working on a sneaky conversion for a transport device... More on that later. 

I guess as I am still waiting on my delivery the rest of the week I will be finishing models and writing fluff. 

Until next time, 

Cheers for reading.

I have hit the follow button. Just found this and I am enjoying seeing your progress on the minis as well as progress for yourself. Great write ups, I like it when pics are added of failed attempts and the strip bath too. It shows you care about the end product which is great. For the base, I really really try and go as simple as I can with colours, especially if it is swamp themed. The flock I use is Battlefield I believe, it is more of a static grass. If your interested, and only plugging this as I believe it may help, here is a base theme I done a while ago which may fit nicely for you. http://www.hobbyhammer.com/2015/08/basing-my-beastmen-fantasy-battle-army.html?spref=tw 

As far as the minis go, I much prefer the second skin colour. keep up the work dude! 

Thank you [mention=134]HobbyHammer[/mention],

Really quality tutorial,  gonna have to keep an eye on your site for them!

I think one of the main issues I have had with the bases is that I want long grass and reeds, but when I mocked up the bases I took none of that into consideration. Its something I have noticed with my painting too, I am too keen to get started and don't plan ahead. 

Will add a few bits into my next order and give your way a try. Any tips for giving it a longer grass feel? I dont want to obscure too much of the mini but i do want the varying levels of vegetation. My initial thought was to raise the figures up on a rock or something similar and have the long vegetation around them. Maybe try making some bulrushes out of thin wire and green stuff sausages.

Also as I forgot to add it to the above post here is the current state of the fimir. I am really happy with the skin tones and the faces. Have had a lot of issues with the metallics due to not planning and overworking them. Really looking forward to getting some fresh minis and trying some alternative techniques. 

ffd0af6063579d64f91ea79c02f29b70.jpg

Hey @Mohojoe,

Coming on really nicely. Your sculpted head looks really cool...my greenstuff skills are fairly mediocre so I always like to see stuff like this.

The last photo above is great, can really see them coming together now. Wasn't sure on this skin tone first, but it looks awesome in that pic. Have you considered weathering on the metals and cloth? (apologies if I've missed you say that already).

Keep up the great work!

Hey [mention=2804]Mohojoe[/mention],
Coming on really nicely. Your sculpted head looks really cool...my greenstuff skills are fairly mediocre so I always like to see stuff like this.
The last photo above is great, can really see them coming together now. Wasn't sure on this skin tone first, but it looks awesome in that pic. Have you considered weathering on the metals and cloth? (apologies if I've missed you say that already).
Keep up the great work!

I hadn't but I think I may have to to help bring them out a bit better. Originally I was going to convert ironjawz to fimir with the heads but I'm just doing them as a standard army instead and keeping my eye on eBay for more fimir!

Oh, forgot to say it's cool that you are working these into Path to Glory.
I'm looking to get something started with that myself!! In a way I wish there was more time between it coming out and the new General's Handbook as I worry it'll get overshadowed.

Yeah I know what you mean. This is very much a slow burn project for me, I'm in no rush to get this finished and I'm enjoying the pace. The 2k army I need to get done on the other hand is hectic. It's nice to have a relaxing project to turn to when the army gets too much!

19 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

Yeah I know what you mean. This is very much a slow burn project for me, I'm in no rush to get this finished and I'm enjoying the pace. The 2k army I need to get done on the other hand is hectic. It's nice to have a relaxing project to turn to when the army gets too much!

Yeh this is something I would advise in general tbh. It's nice to have a couple of projects on the go so you can always switch up for an hour or whatever to break up the monotony.

Archived