Scratch Built Idol

Hey [mention=1837]Ollie Grimwood[/mention],
Brilliant work so far, really impressed (and nothing like what I have planned for mine haha! [emoji14]).
What size base have you got it on? Do you have any plans for the face? I think I have a spare Morkanaut faceplate that might work as a mask?
Keep up the good work!

Thanks bud,

It's on a 160 base. I was thinking a Morkanaut faceplate and may be adding a few armour plates from the set to break up all the stone or I might go with a skull of some sort for a Bonesplitterz look, depends on if I can find anything suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Ollie Grimwood - Cool sounds good. Is 160mm the Cabbage/Archaon one? If so that's what I'm using as well. Mine is just outright made out of a Gorkanaut, I've finally sourced the second klaw arm which had been eluding me for a while!

Yeh it's a tough choice whether to go armour or bone/wood. I guess it depends on whether your army has more of an Ironjawz or Bonesplitterz vibe. Either would look cool tbh.

I'll check to see if I have that Morkanaut faceplate for you tomorrow. If it's any good you can have it.

@HobbyHammer  thanks mate it's probably going to be 8" ish tall. I'm thinking club like hands which semi resemble clenched fists. 

@Chris Tomlin that's very good of you cheers. It's a cabbage sized base. The force I'm taking is half Ironjawz half Bonesplitterz which is where my indecision comes from. My Wurrgog Prophet does have a metal mask so I'll probably go that way. 

@Solaris thank you. 

13 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

@Chris Tomlin that's very good of you cheers. It's a cabbage sized base. The force I'm taking is half Ironjawz half Bonesplitterz which is where my indecision comes from. My Wurrgog Prophet does have a metal mask so I'll probably go that way. 

Cool, that seems the right size IMO. Perhaps we'll get to have an Idol-off at RAW!!

You could do metal mask and bone armour (maybe some big skulls on the shoulders like the Megaboss model) or vice versa. It'll look cool whatever though.

To stop the foam melting away I put a couple of coats over slightly watered PVA on first however I didn't wait till it was totally dry and this happened

ceec5823167ffa528dcc4134f0216aff.jpg

That's what impatience will do to you. It'll mean starting the body again but I've got an idea in mind to make it bit more imposing.

• 3 weeks later...

@Ollie Grimwood - Great work man. Well done for overcoming the adversity and persevering. It's good of you to share that as well so that others can potentially avoid the pitfall. Often larger scratch built projects like this will have some kind of misstep along the way, but it's about how you recover and move forward. For what it's worth, it's looking bigger and better this time around :) 

• 2 weeks later...

0d3fd9ad371bc80efd6a2b8a9eb18d3f.jpg37c8de3ff1cf9c1abe6637243bed0e1d.jpge69ec07421da2a95000a45a1331aa1ec.jpg83c74c1de6ca7910ae434f82adc3cf0d.jpg

Going forward I'm going to add the mask and jaws from the Gorkanaught along with possibly armour plate from the same kit or depending on the GW skulls set maybe some skull shoulders/armour. Definitely going to add some ropes with trophies. Also considering some moss/lichen/grass growing on him, after all he is supposed to have been rampaging through the Jungle on his way to RAW

Archived