What's your FAVORITE thing about AoS?

I think it is the accessibility.

I had wanted to take a look at Warhammer (any kind of it) for years, but I just couldn't bothered with buying three or more ~40€ books just to take a closer look at the rules, and from what I knew about them those rules were - IMO - very beginner-unfriendly, overly complex, and imbalanced.

With AoS I could take a look at all the basic rules for all armies before buying ANYTHING. Of course now that the GHB is there and the Battletomes contain some stuff it isn't that easy anymore, but you can get a good grasp of how the game is played without having those.

The rules are much more condensed (perhaps a bit too much sometimes, I admit that, but that's mainly personal taste and I understand it is hard to make everyone happy) and beginner-friendly, without lacking depth if you play a bit longer.

Support for low model count games.  Even before the Skirmish book came out, there were (and still are) loads of people who were taking the base game and having a great time at 500, 750 or 1000 points.  With Skirmish and an upcoming book for Path to Glory with rules for all the factions, it should be one of the best times for playing smaller games.  I look forward to the idea of starting with a Skirmish Warband, playing through a campaign of that and then transitioning into a Path to Glory campaign.

I love the Novels and background story. 

The ability to make a believable story regardless of setting, and introduce new characters who aren't constrained by decades of lore.

The audiobooks, and the Realmgate wars novels are what brought me back into wargaming.

58 minutes ago, Nin Win said:

Support for low model count games.  Even before the Skirmish book came out, there were (and still are) loads of people who were taking the base game and having a great time at 500, 750 or 1000 points.  With Skirmish and an upcoming book for Path to Glory with rules for all the factions, it should be one of the best times for playing smaller games.  I look forward to the idea of starting with a Skirmish Warband, playing through a campaign of that and then transitioning into a Path to Glory campaign.

I think Shadespire will even be better as Skirmish in the end, though this obviously will still thake a while before it's available.

Offcourse my awnser above all is also the miniatures :D , I really like how GW has now set their hobby line and helps new and old players in the various options to paint models. The more spraycans the better, the more base support that is also in stores the cooler!

Overall I think the easy to play goes further as the core rules even ;) the app, way hobby line is set up and how Warscrolls are exactly units is wonderful and I can only say that I hope GW will continue with this. 

Lastly I also really like the latest Battletomes and hope GW will continue with these good quality pieces. The days that a smaller Battletome doesn't offer much more as the digitial free content are hopefully over. The way the narrative has developed also makes me much more interested in the background as that of the initial start. 

20 hours ago, rokapoke said:

Lately I've seen an increasing quantity of negative posts/threads/attitudes, so I thought I'd see if I can shine a positive light on some of the things that GW has given us with this amazing game. Sure, it has its issues, but everything does!

Good on you @rokapoke! Like you I had also noticed these things creeping into the forum of late, so this thread is an absolute breath of fresh air. Was genuinely great to read through a bunch of positive replies about what everyone loves about this awesome game. This is exactly what the forum should be about (IMO anyway); people sharing their love for the game in all its aspects.

Myself, I honestly don't know to be honest! I really like the simplicity of the core rules, I think they achieve elegance quite nicely and the streamlined nature of them allows for bolt-ons and modularity. It's genuinely just a fun game to play, which I guess at a base level is exactly what I want from my games. This is my favourite version of Warhammer (having played since 4th ed WFB) by a long way and I've had countless great games. The changes going from WFB > AoS seemed to alter peoples mindset going into games and everything just became more fun. Tournaments have been better than ever IMO.

I love the models! GW are pumping out release after release of awesome new miniatures. Wow, what an age we live in when plastic miniatures can be this good.

I'd also like to touch on the community and GW's involvement. We seem to have a big happy family for AoS and it really does impact on my enjoyment of the hobby in a super positive way, so thanks all  :x

Also, to finish; Ironjawz. Never did I think an army would eclipse my love of the Druchii and I certainly didn't think it would be "orcs". I don't know what it was about the Ironjawz release, but something changed in me and I haven't looked back. They bring me so much joy in every aspect of the hobby, whether it's assembling/converting them, painting them, playing games with them or even talking/writing about them. But yeh, these particular little lumps of grey plastic bring great happiness to my life! :D

Chris

I'm going to nick a comment a friend made on twitter, 

"AoS is the most warhammery Warhammer ever warhammered" 

This sums it up nicely for me. AoS is Warhammer distilled down to its essence. Heavy metal stylings, massive weapons (oooh matron), cataclysmic battles and awesome miniatures. It just feels so right.

Of course if you'd like something more precise I really love the Battleshock mechanic it just works so well and the way damage is applied it's so great how mighty weapons and monsters can cut down multiple foes with a single strike. 

Also evey model they released for AoS,  literally not a bad one amough them. 

* Streamlined rules to play with my son.

* Low model count games are viable and fun.

* Though initially I didn't care for it, I now greatly enjoy the colorful, epic, but slightly more grim, 'Masters of the Universe' type setting

* Factions getting overhauled aesthetics. I enjoy seeing what GW cooks up next and the new look armies.

Definitely my favorite part is that I have taken some of my friends who have been interested in the models and been able to teach them how to play in an afternoon. They still come over every month or so and I'll (hopefully!) have another unit or two to add to the four-player mayhem. I've had some of the most bizarre alliances in those games. 

Great topic. Personally I like the flow of the games and the flexibility the system provides. 

Anothen great  (and unique IMO) thing in AOS is its multiplayer game system which works amazingly well. I enjoy multiplayer battles because they have the natural tendency to self balance and always are decided on the last round. When a player seems to get a advantage the others naturally combine their forces to bring him down. This auto avereging creates a competitive equilibrium till the last round. 

I really like that I can make an army out of only models I like to look at. It used to be so demoralizing to paint 20-100 models you didn't particularly like to field a dozen or two models you did like.

Having just finished big bad Archaon, I like just being able to add in some chaos warriors and knights and such and not feel too committed either way about how it plays.

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:36 PM, Soulsmith said:

For me a big one is the models. Moving away from ranked up means they are way more characterful and fun. Just look at brutes, compared to the old black orcs, who were meant to be the big nasties.

As a new player who was only going to get a small warband to play the skirmish game I can agree with this. The models are amazing and really got me hooked into this game.

Id say the simple fact that the game is fun. Ofc there are tons of things to improve upon, but the fact that im having a good time each game is my fav thing. 

Im more than optimistic about its future as well. I think GW has learned alot, and a few years down the line i suspect we are faced with a lot more fleshed out game (and hopefully lore).

I wouldn't call me a player in this game (had just 2 games, and one of them was a Hinterlands game) but there are three things in AoS.

1. that the rules expendable when needed and creates less wierd situations (for example when 3 or more players would play against each other).

2. the huge amount of Battleplanes you can choose from, with many of them feeling like they could really part of a story, and not only has the 6 tournament Scenarios)

3. is the narrative. I really liked to read the realmgate wars campaignbooks and the more open world design in comparison to the old world of Warhammer.

I made multiple campaigns in WHFB, making my own lands because I didn't want to make narrative conflicts with the official background, but the lands never felt like they would be somewhere in the world because the world felt quite full of already existing lands. And I had some projects that had some problems to fit into the old world.

Now in AoS I have much more posibilities to be creative:

"You want a monestory for Allarielle that has brothers and sisters of the human and aelf race?", "sure"

"You want dark aelfs who are in a cult that prays to dragons and see Malerion as a chosen one of dragons?", "why not"

"You want a gigantic realmgate inside the sea, so there is trading by ship in multiple realms?", "just make it"

"You want a skavenclan that lives in a parasite engine and has a leader that always comes back when he dies?", "okay, when stormcasts are nearly immortal, why wouldn't a skaven find a way, too"

"You didn't know, where to fit your army in the existing parts in the realms", "just create a new island or continent with some realmgates"

That were 5 points that go threw my mind when I started crafting some narrative (okay the first one was more a plot for some of the brothers and sisters where saved by sigmar and made to stormcast eternals), but i didn't see points why the ideas wouldn't fit into AoS. The Thread 'The "logic" of the AoS setting' helped me to see this.

Archived