Auticus

New Path to Glory Campaign Book Coming

23 posts in this topic

Per Warhammer Community

New Path to Glory book coming.  

"Previously Path to Glory existed only as part of the GHB, but this release expands upon the ruleset there, most notably with rules for every single Warhammer Age of Sigmar Army..."

Of course it doubtfully addresses the primary complaint about Path to Glory... that being random warbands and followers mean random power levels and you can often find yourself either grotesquely powerful or woefully underpowered in your campaign group.  However... narrative groups are typically more keen to houserule so that can be circumvented.

My soul is ready for this.

Edited by Auticus
2 people like this

Tbe old Realm of Chaos warbands rules suffered from random=fun as a design concept as well (remember getting a bloodthirster with an axe that contained another bloodthirster who could summon 1-6 units of 40 illusionary skeletons?).

We powered through it back in 1990, we can power through it now 27 years later. :)

Edited by Sleboda
4 people like this

GW have said they're aware of the massive differences in power level extremes and were looking at ways to balance it out a little more.  Personally I think the Kharadron P2G rules looked pretty solid.

I'm interested to know what's new. I loved playing a Path to glory campaign last year.

So...what's the difference between a Path to Glory campaign and a Skirmish campaign? Why choose one over the other?

Interesting. Looking forward to getting my hands on the book and seeing what they've done with this. If nothing else, it is a nice "level up" option for new players once they've finished a Skirmish campaign etc. I suspect that is where it will be pitched.

@Mr. White - Skirmish could be seen as the entry level; you play with small warbands of individual models that grow over time. At the end of a Skirmish campaign you will likely be near to having a force suitable for Path to Glory. This uses the full AoS rules for smaller forces, which do include units. By the end of a Path to Glory campaign, you'll be able to play full (smaller) AoS games. If that makes sense? So;

Skirmish > Path to Glory > Age of Sigmar

It's a good linear progression for either new players getting into the game, or existing players building a new army (not everyone goes out and buys their 2,000 points all at once I guess!).

Edited by Chris Tomlin
Replying to Mr. White
1 person likes this

"...addresses the primary complaint about Path to Glory... that being random warbands and followers..."

The only "required random followers" in the rules "technically" are the starting followers in the GHB.

Additional followers as rewards can be either selected, or rolled for.

However, In the original Age of Sigmar: Chaos Path to Glory it calls out specifically:

"These can be chosen ..." or "if you wish, instead of choosing, you can place your fate in the hands of the dark gods and roll on the follower table of your choice instead"

The original Chaos version was much more complete from a warband creation perspective. And there were more battleplans and better hero name generation tables. :)

Yeah.  Thats correct.  I never played it with picking forces though.  I've seen people do that and its basically always choosing the most powerful unit choice over and over again.

Just like the core game I guess ;)

3 people like this

As a huge fan of Path to Glory, this is amazing. The biggest thing for me is what it will mean for Narrative events. A great way of building narrative events is to escalate the games and now there is an official way of doing this.

I spent a lot of time for Realm Hoppers event creating my own Path to Glory tables for all the factions. But to have a document that is an official way of doing this is so much better.

Cant wait to begin this. 

3 people like this

I really hope it fixes some of the glaring issues.  I love the concept of Path to Glory but nobody I know will touch it due to the gross imbalances; nobody wants to be the guy who ends up with a handful of Plague Monks led by a Plague Priest and turning up to face what would be a 2000+ point Stormcast list led by a Lord Celestant on Stardrake.

A lot of the balance in Path to Glory lies in the Battleplan. Yes the tables can create an unbalance, but picking the right battleplan to play may not mean that its a factor.

Unfortunately even if true, my group doesn't like the idea that a scenario is what fixes gross imbalances; the perception is that it's imbalanced lists so cannot be enjoyable.

Edited by wayniac

Well... in my opinion this PtG release fits right in the release slot as GW planned which compliments Skirmish. Most likely, it fills in the other armies that can be taken as Skirmish warbands so you can go from there right into PtG.

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lord Cedric said:

Well... in my opinion this PtG release fits right in the release slot as GW planned which compliments Skirmish. Most likely, it fills in the other armies that can be taken as Skirmish warbands so you can go from there right into PtG.

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

With GHB2 following not far behind to complete the transition.

1 person likes this

Whelp, I guess this means that the GHB2 won't have the PtG section in it. I do hope they make some rules clarifications though, like if Allegiance abilities are capable of being used (and if it's grand alliance only or faction specific), and if battalions are capable of being fielded.

2 minutes ago, Tuluth said:

Whelp, I guess this means that the GHB2 won't have the PtG section in it. I do hope they make some rules clarifications though, like if Allegiance abilities are capable of being used (and if it's grand alliance only or faction specific), and if battalions are capable of being fielded.

Perhaps this will create space in GHB2 for Allegiance Abilities for those forgotten factions... <cough> Seraphon <cough>

I would have been interested prior to Skirmish but seeing how poorly thought out Skirmish seems to be I'll be passing.

3 people like this

I'm excited for this! I always liked this kind of campaign and as my group is MUCH more relaxed then some we rarely have trouble with super broken lists.

I also have to say this is a master stroke for GW as now with a simple purchase of a skirmish box ~$65 (pretty much the price of a video game) you can get someone fully in the hobby with some small skirmish matchs/campaigns.

Then once they're interested in investing slightly more, perhaps another box of guys or two, you can begin a path to glory campaign.

By the end of that campaign, assuming they are still interested, it isn't a leap at all for an escalation campaign of Age of Sigmar proper.

Honestly I can see my group growing quite a bit with this progression method as it allows for lots of narrative/fun campaigns that only be require small (relatively) invesments to move up to the next tier of gaming size.

Of course it doesn't just work for new players. Veterans who thought of dabbeling in a new army can find it just as inviting! The amount of escalation/progression campaigns at the local stores can be quite a great boon the game!

One thing that has occurred to me is that this also provides GW an extra book that can be updated as appropriate rather than having it tied into the Generals Handbook.  In theory most of the handbook should be fairly static beyond a few points tweaks.

I hope there will be some sweet battleplans and campaign structure is in there. I don't care much for the Path to Glory army building itself, but generally the advancements are pretty neat to utilize for regular campaigns.

21 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

GW have said they're aware of the massive differences in power level extremes and were looking at ways to balance it out a little more.  Personally I think the Kharadron P2G rules looked pretty solid.

I played the Skirmish with the Kharadron and they do not joke! Played against a friend who played Sylvaneth and he could barely touch me. Everyone having missile is very strong in small games like that.

Looking forward to the book, hopefully it is much more complex than it is now. Narrative needs to be very rich in terms of background and mechanics or else it just turns into random AoS games with a skeletal structure holding them together.

One of the issues with P2G (PtG?) was the varying price points for entry of your starting warband. Example: A Sylvaneth army has entry with an $85 Start Collecting! Sylvaneth box, and field Durthu/Treelord Ancient, 2x5 Dryads, Branchwych, and just need to buy one other unit. Ironjawz don't even have a general available in their Start Collecting! Ironjawz box, then would still need to pick up another multi-box for even the Maw-Crusha (5 starting followers). I am VERY glad we have the Skirmish box now; the Brutes are a steal in it.

I'm hoping they give both a better campaign, and more battleplans for P2G though.

19 hours ago, chord said:

I would have been interested prior to Skirmish but seeing how poorly thought out Skirmish seems to be I'll be passing.

P2G has been around in this format longer than Skirmish, and even been in all the battletombs post GHB. Skirmish, while asked for by the community in large, has been admittedly geared to promote in-store sales, since it only officially supports plastic models. The AoS community, especially people here on the TGA forums, have put out expansions already. @bottle has said he'll be gearing the next Hinterlands update to be an expansion of the official Skirmish rules as well.