2000 points Deathrattle list

Kugane

I'm having a go at a 2000 points Deathrattle list, would this list work?

Allegiance: Death
Heroes
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
Necromancer (120)
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440) - Deathlance - Artefact : Cursed Book

Units
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
10 x Black Knights (240)
10 x Grave Guard (160) -Great Wight Blade
40 x Skeleton Warriors (320) -Ancient Spear & Shield
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80) -Sword & Shield
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80) -Sword & Shield

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)
Battalions
Legion of Death (60)
Total: 1980/ 2000
Heroes: 3/6    Battlelines: 4 (3+)    Behemoths: 2/4    Artillery: 0/

Sorry if I'm just being blind but are you missing a command ability? I can't advocate Red Fury enough if you're undecided - it'll make your big guy a beast! Use Dread Knight and Mystic Shield on him as well. 2+ save (with a shield), rerolling failed hits, and (if the dice like you), he can attack again immediately with all melee. 

Nice list.  You've got some great speed here which I think will catch people out. Let me know how the wolves go! 

If you make some room for a second group of 30/40 skeletons, then you will have 3 hard hitting units:

VLOZD

40 Skelly

30-40 Skelly

10 Grave Guard (hit-somewhat hard)

10 Dire Wolves is probably enough to play the distraction role, you also have the fast and regenerating black knights.

You could either drop Mortis Engine, or 5 Dire Wolves & 5 Grave Guard / 5 Black Knights to get enough points for another big block of skeletons, which kill things well.

As-is should function fine with VLOZD & Mortis Engine flying in together, Black Knights  & Dire Wolves distract while skeletons make it up the board to charge turn 2/3.

Personally recommend Ruler of the Night on VLOZD because you just want to survive, and he is your fastest piece and hardest hitting so they will obviously focus it when it's the first thing in their face.

Drop the Black Knights, they are rubbish. Also replace the Vampire Lord with either the Vampire Lord on Abyssall Terror to double your main Hordes movement every turn or switch too Mannfred, Mortarch of Night. His command ability will let you reroll all 1's on your hit and wound rolls.  Run the Wight King with the Banner. Id also use a unit of 10-15 wolves instead of 3 at 5. Dire wolves when properly buffed are actualy good, as is they are chaff.

7 hours ago, lare2 said:

Sorry if I'm just being blind but are you missing a command ability? I can't advocate Red Fury enough if you're undecided - it'll make your big guy a beast! Use Dread Knight and Mystic Shield on him as well. 2+ save (with a shield), rerolling failed hits, and (if the dice like you), he can attack again immediately with all melee. 

Nice list.  You've got some great speed here which I think will catch people out. Let me know how the wolves go! 

I didn't put it indeed! I havent decided yet, but that sounds kind of awesome! I may run it in a 1000 list to begin with. I was kind of wondering if VLOZD is worth it at all vs the Mortarchs though. The army is still being built atm, I just want to make sure I don't end up spending 40 hours painting (or buying) the wrong minis :)

4 hours ago, Bradifer said:

If you make some room for a second group of 30/40 skeletons, then you will have 3 hard hitting units:

VLOZD

40 Skelly

30-40 Skelly

10 Grave Guard (hit-somewhat hard)

10 Dire Wolves is probably enough to play the distraction role, you also have the fast and regenerating black knights.

You could either drop Mortis Engine, or 5 Dire Wolves & 5 Grave Guard / 5 Black Knights to get enough points for another big block of skeletons, which kill things well.

As-is should function fine with VLOZD & Mortis Engine flying in together, Black Knights  & Dire Wolves distract while skeletons make it up the board to charge turn 2/3.

Personally recommend Ruler of the Night on VLOZD because you just want to survive, and he is your fastest piece and hardest hitting so they will obviously focus it when it's the first thing in their face.

Thanks for the info! I see :), thank you for the feedback. Also taking into consideration to drop the Mortis Engine, I keep reading posts about the engine getting sniped turn 1. While I love the mini look-wise, I would also love to convert it into something else like a Settra on Chariot.

3 hours ago, lastdarkness said:

Drop the Black Knights, they are rubbish. Also replace the Vampire Lord with either the Vampire Lord on Abyssall Terror to double your main Hordes movement every turn or switch too Mannfred, Mortarch of Night. His command ability will let you reroll all 1's on your hit and wound rolls.  Run the Wight King with the Banner. Id also use a unit of 10-15 wolves instead of 3 at 5. Dire wolves when properly buffed are actualy good, as is they are chaff.

Thank you for your feedback! I'm a bit uncertain how to get a Abyssal terror other than doing conversion work though, but I'm thinking to pick up a skeleton horde box to build a mortarch. I may get Mannfred in that case. I'm not sure if the riders are lose/can be magnetized. I kind of like Neferata as well. Which would be better though, VLOAT or Mannfred?

I was considering to making a huge Dire Wolf unit to go along with my skeletons, I really love the Fenrisian wolves model, but as much as a wolf army would look cool, I don't want to take the rule of cool too far.

I converted my Abyssal terror from the Nazgul on Fellbeast model. You can literaly drop the zombie dragon rider on it with a tiny bit of putty to secure the rider to the sadle.

As Mortarchs go, Mannfred is better for your army since he mixed more between melee and magic and his amazing command. Neferata is the melee powerhouse though and a true nightmare with Red Fury and Cursed Book. Arkhan is for a summoning army.   I actualy run Mannfred on top of a zombie dragon to use for lord on dragon/mortarch as needed. The mortarch kit is easy to magnetise since its just the rider and the beasts head that need too switch(just rider really though).

99121466005_NEWWingedNazgulNEW01.jpg

1 minute ago, lastdarkness said:

I converted my Abyssal terror from the Nazgul on Fellbeast model. You can literaly drop the zombie dragon rider on it with a tiny bit of putty to secure the rider to the sadle.

As Mortarchs go, Mannfred is better for your army since he mixed more between melee and magic and his amazing command. Neferata is the melee powerhouse though and a true nightmare with Red Fury and Cursed Book. Arkhan is for a summoning army.   I actualy run Mannfred on top of a zombie dragon to use for lord on dragon/mortarch as needed. The mortarch kit is easy to magnetise since its just the rider and the beasts head that need too switch(just rider really though).

99121466005_NEWWingedNazgulNEW01.jpg

Ah thats a real shame, I just sold off all my Nazgul on felbeast models to buy more warhammer. I read somewhere that the LotR range isn't allowed for conversions, only 40k and warhammer stuff, so I went ahead and got rid of all my LotR stuff. I have an Age of Sigmar starter set lying here though, I'm considering to pop some wings on the Dracoth and put my vampire lord on there. I could probably just cut the stormcast legs off and make a smooth saddle or something with green stuff. I'll probably go with Mannfred though. I looked at his command ability and it seems to fit in well with the rest. Are Black Knights really that horrible to run? I'd love to fit in some cavalry in here.

10 hours ago, Kugane said:

Ah thats a real shame, I just sold off all my Nazgul on felbeast models to buy more warhammer. I read somewhere that the LotR range isn't allowed for conversions, only 40k and warhammer stuff, so I went ahead and got rid of all my LotR stuff. I have an Age of Sigmar starter set lying here though, I'm considering to pop some wings on the Dracoth and put my vampire lord on there. I could probably just cut the stormcast legs off and make a smooth saddle or something with green stuff. I'll probably go with Mannfred though. I looked at his command ability and it seems to fit in well with the rest. Are Black Knights really that horrible to run? I'd love to fit in some cavalry in here.

Ive never heard that ruling but the lotr can be more difficult since the model scale is smaller. (And really unless your playing in official competitive tournements. Mixing conversion bits is fine. Only rule ive ever seen is its got to be mostly games workshop/forgeworld bits)

The Dracoth is a common conversion, ill post a pic I was looking at when I was trying to convert. Though I think were getting off topic though since your wanting a Deathrattle list but were talking mixed Death now.  Its the same problem Zombies/Skeletons all share as battleline. You need to run alot and buff them. Wight King with Banner and Necromancer and Vampire Lord being the most common to stack effects. Neferata can give your Horde flying and VL on Abyssal doubles movement.

Black Knights just statisticaly are weak unfortunetly, Id use Hexwraiths instead for Calvalry. You can certainly though make them work since alot of opponets hate fast armys when dealing with objectives.  If you can find it I think some of the Tomb King calvalry would work better to run Deathrattle/Skeletons.(Blood Knights then Crypt Flayers are Deaths best calvalry type units)

Going back to your Mortis Engine, Its not a bad model or unit. Most people focus it down fast because its a bomb that can wipe out most of a enemys 1 wound models. 

images.jpg

CyrT4o8XgAE4xLV.jpg

1 hour ago, lastdarkness said:

Ive never heard that ruling but the lotr can be more difficult since the model scale is smaller. (And really unless your playing in official competitive tournements. Mixing conversion bits is fine. Only rule ive ever seen is its got to be mostly games workshop/forgeworld bits)

The Dracoth is a common conversion, ill post a pic I was looking at when I was trying to convert. Though I think were getting off topic though since your wanting a Deathrattle list but were talking mixed Death now.  Its the same problem Zombies/Skeletons all share as battleline. You need to run alot and buff them. Wight King with Banner and Necromancer and Vampire Lord being the most common to stack effects. Neferata can give your Horde flying and VL on Abyssal doubles movement.

Black Knights just statisticaly are weak unfortunetly, Id use Hexwraiths instead for Calvalry. You can certainly though make them work since alot of opponets hate fast armys when dealing with objectives.  If you can find it I think some of the Tomb King calvalry would work better to run Deathrattle/Skeletons.(Blood Knights then Crypt Flayers are Deaths best calvalry type units)

Going back to your Mortis Engine, Its not a bad model or unit. Most people focus it down fast because its a bomb that can wipe out most of a enemys 1 wound models. 

images.jpg

CyrT4o8XgAE4xLV.jpg

That Dracoth looks roughly like what I had in mind. I like the idea of the vampire lord on a wolf like that as well though. As for the black knights, I guess I'll just keep 5 to keep the battalion and get rid of some. vampire lord on AT almost sounds like an auto-include with the double movement though. I looked at his cost, he's actually quite cheap. I may ditch the Mortis Engine and get VLOAT in along with Mannfred instead of VLOZD and Mortis

2 hours ago, Kugane said:

That Dracoth looks roughly like what I had in mind. I like the idea of the vampire lord on a wolf like that as well though. As for the black knights, I guess I'll just keep 5 to keep the battalion and get rid of some. vampire lord on AT almost sounds like an auto-include with the double movement though. I looked at his cost, he's actually quite cheap. I may ditch the Mortis Engine and get VLOAT in along with Mannfred instead of VLOZD and Mortis

Abyssal Terrors acording to lore can look like anything the Rider wants. So theres freedom of conversion there. 

On 20/06/2017 at 0:34 PM, lastdarkness said:

Abyssal Terrors acording to lore can look like anything the Rider wants. So theres freedom of conversion there. 

I see! Thats really great. I'll probably pick up a wolf mount in that case :). Thanks for the info!

55 minutes ago, lastdarkness said:

On second thought, have a look at Liche Priest. Being able to gain more attacks on a 6 when your Skeletons roll to hit is definetly nice.

5+ if  you have a hero close by, which you always have.

Then you can always try to find damned terrain for 4+ and maybe a reroll to hit from the VLoZD or plus 1 attack from a Wight king if you like to roll a lot of dice.

And maybe Settra for 3+.

And a Necromancier so you can do it twice.

1 hour ago, Andreas said:

5+ if  you have a hero close by, which you always have.

Then you can always try to find damned terrain for 4+ and maybe a reroll to hit from the VLoZD or plus 1 attack from a Wight king if you like to roll a lot of dice.

And maybe Settra for 3+.

And a Necromancier so you can do it twice.

Skeletons become absolutely ferocious when you put the right buffs on them.

Adding a Liche Priest is a really good idea. I still have a Archmage from the Spire of Dawn box set lying around, I'm considering to cut off his head and give him a skull instead. I think it would make a nice Liche Priest conversion.

A big issue I've noticed is that Synergies generally don't work out well due to stuff like the Necromancer getting sniped. I'm now considering to add some Tomb Heralds to the list to soak up some wounds for the hero units. Still considering how I'd convert them into an asian theme though.

Good news, I have a Settra, 6 chariots and a warsphinx on the way new in box! Managed to snatch all of them at GW prices before they went OOP. Also got some secondhand Ushabti, a casket of souls and High Queen Khalida coming in. Trying to get my hands on a few more chariots so I can start a cavalry army.

New list:

Allegiance: Death

Heroes
Settra The Imperishable (360) - General
Royal Warsphinx (340) - Venom Spike Tail - Artefact : Cloak of Mists and Shadows
Liche Priest (120)
Tomb Herald (100)
Tomb Herald (100)
Necromancer (120)

Units
6 x Skeleton Chariots (280)
6 x Skeleton Chariots (280)
5 x Skeleton Horsemen (100)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Total: 1980/ 2000
Heroes: 6/6    Battlelines: 4 (3+)    Behemoths: 1/4    Artillery: 0/4

• 2 weeks later...

The new list is good, imo tho, if you want to go really heavy on the chariot theme might as well go all the way and go with a royal legion of chariots. Makes them considerably more potent in combat and lowers your drop count.

20" flying move from settra with reroll failed charge (from tomb king) means almost guaranteed charge for one of your units then go slamming in causing MWs then hitting on 2+, wounding on 3+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 14/07/2017 at 4:36 AM, themortalgod said:

The new list is good, imo tho, if you want to go really heavy on the chariot theme might as well go all the way and go with a royal legion of chariots. Makes them considerably more potent in combat and lowers your drop count.

20" flying move from settra with reroll failed charge (from tomb king) means almost guaranteed charge for one of your units then go slamming in causing MWs then hitting on 2+, wounding on 3+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good! I'm having a bit of issues finding more chariots though. I was able to find 12 of them here and there. I'm afraid running 4 groups of 3 can get them killed easily. Its a real shame you need 4 units of chariots, it kind of pushes lists past the 2k point quite easily.

2 hours ago, Kugane said:

Sounds good! I'm having a bit of issues finding more chariots though. I was able to find 12 of them here and there. I'm afraid running 4 groups of 3 can get them killed easily. Its a real shame you need 4 units of chariots, it kind of pushes lists past the 2k point quite easily.

Ya, I know the feeling, I've been on a similar hunt. I don't feel units of 3 is super vulnerable though, the enemy pretty much has to do 15 wounds in one turn to kill a squad, which isn't as easy as it sounds for quite a few armies unless they use overwhelming force which means the rest of your army is ignored. Personally, I prefer them in units of 3 since I find I can rarely get 6 into base to base combat anyway so in bigger units the extra models just end up twiddling their thumbs a lot. Units of 6 with a couple heralds in range though are damn near impossible to kill off. My recommendation would be to try out the list with units of 3 to see how you like it, then if you find you want more models per unit keep hunting for more chariots. Not like you lose anything either way. :) Easy to experiment.

On 17/07/2017 at 10:37 PM, themortalgod said:

Ya, I know the feeling, I've been on a similar hunt. I don't feel units of 3 is super vulnerable though, the enemy pretty much has to do 15 wounds in one turn to kill a squad, which isn't as easy as it sounds for quite a few armies unless they use overwhelming force which means the rest of your army is ignored. Personally, I prefer them in units of 3 since I find I can rarely get 6 into base to base combat anyway so in bigger units the extra models just end up twiddling their thumbs a lot. Units of 6 with a couple heralds in range though are damn near impossible to kill off. My recommendation would be to try out the list with units of 3 to see how you like it, then if you find you want more models per unit keep hunting for more chariots. Not like you lose anything either way. :) Easy to experiment.

That sounds kind of good. I might give units of 3 a try in that case. I'm still searching for a build I feel comfortable using though. I may give 10 Skeleton Horsemen, 2x 3 chariots, 40 skeleton warriors a shot. Wondering how good Morghast Archai are. I love their look, plus they'd fit the theme of the army well.

WIP necromancer so far:

5971190501af4_AsianTombKings(3).JPG.1398a1d7fe1a56d6d0fc85587a395b28.JPG

Archived