Hallowed Knights: Plague Garden Review

Austin

Not sure where else to put this other than General- if it needs to be moved do it!

Started reading this novel Friday night when it became available and didn't stop, with the exception of going to pick up Dark Imperium (come on, I'm not a barbarian).

Josh Reynolds hits it out of the park again.  Although a standalone novel, it will of course have been helpful to read the previous novels, most especially Wardens of the Everqueen and Ghal Maraz.  The Sylvaneth Legends of the Age of Sigmar novel is good for context, but not as essential as the others.

If after reading this book you still complain about one dimensional Stormcast, its just because you aren't trying.  Josh Reynolds brings the many characters of a Stormcast stormhost to life like never before.  I personally loved the flashes of personality seen in other books in the Realmgate War series, Matt Westbrook's Bladestorm in particular, but this book brings that conflict to the forefront.  All of the Stormcast are very concerned with the process of Reforging and what that means for them.  They don't at all seem like robotic seek and destroy lightning men/women, at least not yet.  Even within the same stormhost, it is clear that Stormcast are far more dynamic than we thought. 

We finally get to see an interaction between Sigmar himself and the Stormcast!  It was an awesome scene that still has me trying to figure out all it meant for the future.

The Order of the Flies is maybe the most interesting Chaos force I've seen. The contrast of allegedly knightly values with what they are actually doing is great.  As an aside, I am sure some of the enemies in the book are a preview of new models for Nurgle. Pestigors abound, as well as new maggot creatures.

There is no question that this book continues more in line with the Realmgate Wars than City of Secrets. It is a lot of fighting, less worldbuilding.  However, if you are a Stormcast or Nurgle fan you really have to get this book.  Both sides get expanded motivations and looks that make both far more interesting than before (even Nurgle who obviously has been around for a while).

22 minutes ago, Killax said:

I too think that Nurgle is an unfresh breath of air ;) I think the narrative quality in this book is good aswell. Its improving by the book.

id confidently say that most books now will be of good quality, once the foundations are set which they are then you can build upon them.

i suspect if you go back and look at the first fluff in warhammer fantasy, take off the nostalgia glasses... it was probably garbage.

I have really liked most of the novels for AoS since the beginning. I don't know that I think the narrative quality is increasing or if it's just getting easier to like for people as we get some time between this and the Old World. I think this novel shows that from the beginning these arcs were planned and have been executed very well. 

Not really done with it, but so far Plague Garden is a high-water mark for AoS fiction. This book once and for all dispells the wrongful accusations of one-dimentionality of the Stormcast.

Even the Stormcast's reactions to Tornus (who used to be Torglug) would be enough. And yet Reynolds fills the book with a distinct set of deep supporting characters.

Archived