Help making a 1000 point list free people

Congratz

I can't give TOO much help a single I have very limited experience, but a general w a standard seems fairly common, swordsmen seem to be the general "go-to", and handgunners can pack a whallop.

For your mage you can consider a lore of beasts to further buff your units, or put one on the celestial hurricanum for some spell slinging, buffing, AND mortal wound pumping.

That should give you a pretty decent "core" that you can expand upon!

What i recommand you is to find the "State Troop Detachement" Warscroll and build your army from that.

It is basically, a general, 3 shooting troops(gun or xbow) and an elite unit (Gsword or rough raiders).

Everyone gets +1 to hit and a bonus to battleshock for 120 points. Amazing value.

Maximize the size of one or two unit so you gain the 20+ model bonus.

Battlemages are unimpressives and are avoidable unless you really like them.

Did it get FAQd that old Empire warscrolls were synonymous with Freeguild? I always remember the debates that technically there aren't any "Empire General" warscrolls just "Freeguild General" so t cynically you can no long fulfill the requirements?

Dwarves and the like also had this issue. I certainly hope I am wrong with that though (always thought it was a bit silly)!

The current FAQ indicates that you need to match the exact Warscroll name or Keywords on the Battalion. So many Compendium battalions cannot be used due to this (Including the State Troop Detachment). Some areas may house rule this, but that's what the current rules state.

If you want to start Freeguild, my opinion is at a core, you'll want a Freeguild General, 10 Freeguild Guard with Swords, and 10 Handgunners/Crossbows. From that point, you can increase your ranged unit numbers to get boosts, or with Handgunners, you can stay at more smaller units (especially combod with a Hurricanum). You'll also want to branch out with some more fighting units, say some Greatswords or more Freeguild Guard and some faster moving elements in the army (Pistoliers/Outriders).

You'll most likely either want to branch out into other Order factions to help out (Collegiate Arcane, Ironweld Arsenal, Brettonians, Stormcast Eternals being common ones) or, at 1000 points you could go pure Freeguild and you'll probably want to pick up a Freeguild General on Griffon.

At the moment, Demigryph's while having amazing models, just aren't quite up to snuff at 200 points so I wouldn't recommend them.

Here's an example 1000 point list that is pure Freeguild:

Freeguild General

Freeguild General on Griffon

10 Freeguild Guard with Swords and Shields

10 Freeguild Handgunners

10 Freeguild Crossbowmen

10 Freeguild Greatswords

5 Pistoliers

Total: 980pts

Gives you a nice balanced array of units. A centre piece model in the Freeguild General on Griffon, and he has some upfield support in the Pistoliers (or Outriders if you choose those instead). Got a strong core of infantry units between the Guard and Greatswords, and ranged units in the Handgunners and Crossbows.

On 2017/6/19 at 5:01 PM, kozokus said:

What i recommand you is to find the "State Troop Detachement" Warscroll and build your army from that.

As @someone2040 said, that battalion is not legal anymore sadly. There's the massive Freeguild Regiment, but it's huge and tactically inflexible.

20 hours ago, someone2040 said:

If you want to start Freeguild, my opinion is at a core, you'll want a Freeguild General, 10 Freeguild Guard with Swords, and 10 Handgunners/Crossbows. From that point, you can increase your ranged unit numbers to get boosts, or with Handgunners, you can stay at more smaller units (especially combod with a Hurricanum). You'll also want to branch out with some more fighting units, say some Greatswords or more Freeguild Guard and some faster moving elements in the army (Pistoliers/Outriders).

You'll most likely either want to branch out into other Order factions to help out (Collegiate Arcane, Ironweld Arsenal, Brettonians, Stormcast Eternals being common ones) or, at 1000 points you could go pure Freeguild and you'll probably want to pick up a Freeguild General on Griffon.

This is all good advice! For you @Congratz, the best pure Freeguild units in the game are the Freeguild General, Freeguild General on Griffon, and Handgunners. You can augment your force with the Celestial Hurricanum (Collegiate Arcane), Empire Cannon (Empire Compendium), and Battlemage (Collegiate Arcane), which are all perfectly legal choices to bring.

Freeguild have very poor melee attack power, but excellent melee defense power. Likewise they have poor defense against ranged attacks (no armored missile units) but fantastic ranged attack. You can increase your attack and staying power exponentially by increasing unit size to 20+. A few squads of Freeguild Guard w/ Swords and Shields are good for defending a static ranged gunline, while huge mobs of Freeguild Guard w/ Halberds and Shields are good on the attack. Use a Freeguild General for a defensive army, and use the Freeguild General on Griffon for an offensive army. Here's what two sample lists might look like:

Agressive Freeguild - 1000pts

1 Freeguild General on Griffon w/ Sigmarite Runesword and Freeguild Shield - 300

1 Amber Battlemage - 100pts

30 Freeguild Guard w/ Halberds and Shields - 160

10 Freeguild Guard w/ Swords and Shields - 80

5 Freeguild Pistoliers - 140

5 Freeguild Pistoliers - 140

Defensive Freeguild - 980pts

1 Freeguild General on Barded Warhorse w/ Sigmarite Weapon, Freeguild Shield, and Stately War Banner - 100

1 Celestial Hurricanum - 320

20 Freeguild Handgunners - 200

20 Freeguild Handgunners - 200

Anyway, something like that would be good!

• 3 weeks later...

I play this list a lot at my local store and have only been beaten by a double stonehorn & ogre army (i also deployed too close & forgot horse attacks on my general >_<)

General - horse, SW, sheild SWB - Strategic genius & Phoenix stone

30 x Crossbows - banner and piper

10 x Handgunners - banner, piper and long rifle

10x State guard - swords, sheilds, banner, drummer

5 x Outriders - repeater handguns & trumpter

1x IWA cannon or a Helstorm Rocket Battery

basically kill a unit a turn with the crossbows (or kill enough and battle shock stuff down) 60 shots is sick on 3+ & 3+ with rend of 5 &6's to wound

cannon/ hellstorm kills angry stuff with help from long rifles and handguns

general buffs the ranged units making crossbows 3+ & 3+

makes handguns 4+ & 2+ (or run as 20 as get 3+ & 2+)

outriders are there to nab objectives and more shooting support

swords are bubble wrap for crossbows and to trigger the stand and shoot special rule (enjoy another 60 shots)

Or my other List is;

General - horse, SW, sheild SWB - Strategic genius & Phoenix stone

IWA Enginner with long rifle

30 x Crossbows - banner and piper

10x State guard - swords, sheilds, banner, drummer

1x IWA cannon

1x Gryph-hound

Same basic strat but just makes the cannon super reliable shooting

Gryph-hound is more a distraction or hides in the middle of ranged units agaisnt SCE & sylvaneth for free shooting 

Its not super mobile but I don't really have any issues with any of the scenarios, just pick your targets and be smart with running stuff up & its not hard to table stuff 

Here's my current 1000pt list:

Freeguild General on Griffon 300pts

General, Quicksilver Potion, Inspiring

Celestial Hurricanum 320pts

30x Handgunners 300pts

10x Guard w/swords 80pts

Presuming you are playing on a 4' x 4' the Handgunners and Hurricanum hold the centre, the swordsmen are chaff and the General zooms about doing the heavy lifting. It's only 4 drops so you have the chance of choosing turns (and opting to go second).

The list would be better with Crossbowmen instead of gunners but I don't have 30, still the list is undefeated so far (only played 2 games with it lol).

Hope this gives some inspiration!

Archived