This is 'How I Brayherd' Bro!

HobbyHammer

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 1: AoS Skirmish (Triumph and Treachery)

Ok so only a little run out for the first game, but I did manage to play finally with a few of the models. It was a Skirmish Game based on the last scenario for Coalescence, I was teamed up with Paul Flory and was against Kye Baker, Ben Crowe and Mark Yorke. The points levels were small.

In my warband was Mojgorox (with Merciless Killer), 2 Bestigor, 3 Gor, 3 Ungor Raiders and 1 Ungor = 35 Renown

Paul and me were given first turn, the objective was to have more models within 6" of the centre Objective, Kill Heroes with Heroes and inflict most wounds. Paul was running a Khorne Daemon warband. We ran up and sat on the objective, my Raiders ran off to the side to fire some shots at an Overlord Warband, but only inflicted 1 wound on a balloon guy. 

Mark with his Overlords went next, he moved up and shot the Raiders off and also picked off 2 of my Gor :( 

Ben went next and moved his Tzeentch band up led by a Shaman on Disc. 

Next up was Kye, he moved his Stormcast Warband up and made an 11" charge from his Lord Celestant onto the Shaman, killing him outright. But in return took damage from a Tzaangor and Pink Horror. And then went down to a Blue Horror! (After this Kye then in the battleshock phase lost the rest of his army as they all fled.... O.o - Funny as hell to watch) 

Next up was our turn again after winning priority. I moved Mojgorox over towards the Overlords and managed to charge the Hero, an Endrinmaster. I challenged him! The Beastlord has 6 attacks, Hitting on 3's (Which I managed to get to 2's as I rolled a 6 for the Chaos Battle Trait) re-rolling 1's because of dual axes. Wounding on 3's (Which again came down to 2's from the Merciless Killer Command Ability) re-rolling all failed wound rolls because of his ability of Hatred of Heroes. Rend -1 and 1 Damage. All six of these got through and the Endrinmaster failed 5 of them! In return he dealt 5 wounds back at me.

Mark again had next turn and tried to shoot Mojgorox down but failed all his shots, then in close combat again failed to do any damage to him! The rest of his warband took out the last remaining Brayherd, but Mojgorox cut the Endrinmaster up good and proper in his returning combat. 

IMG_2733.JPG.1fda506588926d044d44dd7f4910811d.JPG

The game ended with a Win for us, basically due to the number of models we had around the Objective for the whole game and the fact I won the challenge! 

Result: Major Victory!

Ok, so I can't take much away from this game as most of my army died before I even done anything, the army was quick and very manoeuvrable due to Horn allowing to run and charge and Banner adding another inch to that.. (if I add shaman, I would have added another 3" to that too)

The Ungor Raiders I can see would be great in a big block. They move at end of deployment for free. So can average a 9" Move, then can run and shoot, so I should be able to do some first turn shooting with them. The Beastlord is pretty brutal, already thinking of ways to get him more so in full AoS games. Probably stick with Great Destroyer, unless i know i'll be up against Order armies.. then I suspect Dark Avenger. For the artefact, I am thinking maybe Chaos Runeblade.. that extra attack maybe the difference between killing a Hero and not.. 

In any case, here is a list I have thought long and hard about.. The extra points left over would be for summoning.. either Daemons or a Ghorgon with the GBS

594130608d4b7_ScreenShot2017-06-14at13_46_39.png.c0e6d0ba51a27c0533436da9900bfb48.png

Thanks! 

IMO Great Destroyer is an underutilized ability.  After seeing how destructive it can be in a pure Warherd list I'm giving it a go tonight in my game.  I'm taking a Jabber though to deal with problems and a BSB so it will be 3 drops.

I'm going to try running 10 Gors with 10 Ungor Spearmen behind (thus not charging) to mimic the Brayherd units from 6th edition Beasts of Chaos.  

Your thread inspired me to bring the Brayherd out tonight.  I stopped playing them about a year left in 8th cause I got tired of facing netlists and generals who bought their army painted after copying a list from warseer rather than hobbyists.  Just a personal preference even if I did well with Beastmen.

Keep up the goat work!

A friend at our local shop plays Brayherd and they are always a joy to play against. A few observations. 

1. They die in droves. Always take crown of command to minimize battle shock.

2. They tend to win by playing to objectives. With their great movement and cheap throw away units, they can win on points even when the bulk of the army is slain.

3. The chariots are amazing tarpits. Probably the most survivable unit you have. Once they are bogged down, support them with Raiders or something to help them push through.

4. The faction on its own tends to lack a big punch. My friend dips into a unit of Bulgors to help out. A gorgon, gargant, or chaos beast can help a lot.

5. The shaman have the unique  ability to summon chaos beasts. The problem? You need a 9 for it to go off. Ways to mitigate that are the vortex (+1), Chaos familiars (+1 bubble), and Sayl who can let you roll 3d6 to cast. A 7 on 3 dice is much more manageable. Summon a chaos dragon or wyrven turn 1 in their grill and snipe characters. Then back it up with Breyherd movement and Sayl slingshoting another hammer unit and you have some real turn 1 pressure.

Hope that helps!

#Bray4Mercy!

On 6/16/2017 at 10:12 PM, bonzai said:

A friend at our local shop plays Brayherd and they are always a joy to play against. A few observations. 

1. They die in droves. Always take crown of command to minimize battle shock.

2. They tend to win by playing to objectives. With their great movement and cheap throw away units, they can win on points even when the bulk of the army is slain.

3. The chariots are amazing tarpits. Probably the most survivable unit you have. Once they are bogged down, support them with Raiders or something to help them push through.

4. The faction on its own tends to lack a big punch. My friend dips into a unit of Bulgors to help out. A gorgon, gargant, or chaos beast can help a lot.

5. The shaman have the unique  ability to summon chaos beasts. The problem? You need a 9 for it to go off. Ways to mitigate that are the vortex (+1), Chaos familiars (+1 bubble), and Sayl who can let you roll 3d6 to cast. A 7 on 3 dice is much more manageable. Summon a chaos dragon or wyrven turn 1 in their grill and snipe characters. Then back it up with Breyherd movement and Sayl slingshoting another hammer unit and you have some real turn 1 pressure.

A Familiar is something I forget about often and only being 20 points they go a long way.  The flexibility of what you can summon is underestimated.  You can summon a GUO (no clue if that's good or not, just drastically different than how we've been looking at this spell).

I'm also of the like to adding Bullgors, Ghorgon but don't underestimate two Jabberslythes.  They overcome the lack of rend.

I was a huge fan of my chariots last game.  I ran 3 and plan to get my next 3 rebased.  With Mystic Shield it is a tarpit of wounds that isn't that expensive give the board control you do.  

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎09 at 6:20 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

This is where you're going to have to juggle your hobby and competitive side tbh! It's potentially a pretty massive decision for you. 

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎09 at 6:34 AM, HobbyHammer said:

I just can't see myself putting them on 25's.. I really thought about it and thought if I want this to be competitive I need to.. But I didn't. Bought 32's. :(

If you look at page 203 of the Grand Alliance Chaos book, GW has put a bestigor, gor and an ungor beside each other in the same photo. You can clearly see that the Bestigor and gor are on 32s and the ungor are on 25s.  So that's how I did mine.

Hobby Update!

50 Ungor have now been completed and based. 30 with Maul and Shields and 20 Ungor Raiders, there will be 30 more to do with Spears and Shields but not yet. Should be getting a 1k game in soon, for that I need to get 20 Bestigor done, but for some reason I have completely missed the fact I was running low on Leadbelcher, trip to GW in order I think. 

IMG_3026.png

IMG_3027.png

Wow, this is a really good looking army. It's great to see the herds out and about. I'm just about to get some going for my mixed bag Chaos army. I dig the idea someone had earlier in the thread of partnering them with Chaos Dwarfs (racist snobs and hairy filthmongers - together at last).

Archived